Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Twin Engine Tiburon

Old 07-08-2002, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Engine Tiburon

I would love to do this...I would need a rough estimate of cost (I'm guessing around 10Gs) and also how this would be done, I have a 2001 Hyundai Tib, Automatic...also after this is done, would it be possible to do things to both engines (turbochargers on both, 2 quad throttle bodies, etc.)?
Old 07-08-2002, 07:16 PM

I talked to McIntyre and they said that the entire swap and setup that they had cost just over $90,000. Although they made that money up at the street races within a couple of months. Good Luck!
Old 07-08-2002, 07:18 PM

*eyes bulge out* Dear god...90Gs? Thats disgusting! tongue.gif jeezus christ! tongue.gif Yeh maybe down in California or something but Alaska racers dont really...race...for anything but fun...too many conditional extremeties (messed up roads, very short runs, etc.)
Old 07-08-2002, 10:01 PM

remember both engines were streamlined, turbo'ed and running nitromethane already plus god-knows-what to push 630whp. if your looking just put two N/A engines in your car, your looking at serious body work in the rear.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:09 PM

what he means to say is that you need *some serious funk in the trunk.*

Old 07-08-2002, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by 9o7TiB7o9:
I would love to do this...I would need a rough estimate of cost (I'm guessing around 10Gs) and also how this would be done, I have a 2001 Hyundai Tib, Automatic...also after this is done, would it be possible to do things to both engines (turbochargers on both, 2 quad throttle bodies, etc

yo mang,if i were you i would just put a turbo on your 2.0L,get a upgraded torque convertor from level 10 and you should have more than enough power in you car.trust me if you get over 200 hp to the wheels it is more than enough,why go crazy overboard wink
Old 07-09-2002, 02:06 AM

90k my ass, they just said that so they dont have competition and make themselves look good.

Figure in the cost of an automatic tranny and engine, and to turbo charge both. I am thinking around 12k 20k at the most.

I would do it, if it was road legal, but its not.
You realize you can get away with alot more in texas and in El Paso were they are then you can in most other states.

Lost of back roads and open land to race on smile.gif

Is it street drivable? no... pushiong 630whp was proabbly easy, remember not 630whp per engine but between 2 engines. thats roughly 315hp.

Just take the setup of any Turbo install to one engine and double it, then throw in the cost of cutting out the trunk for the engine.

90k my ass.

20k i'd say, and maybe if ya got it done in some expensive town maybe 30k

easy 5k to turbo charge each car, then cost of putting in the rear engine.

That car was drag mainly, I am sure it cant handle high speed turns.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:09 AM

if i remember correctly, the tibby got bad reviews for street drivability because it spun out in every gear smile.gif which is pretty good for a AWD car smile.gif
Old 07-09-2002, 03:36 AM

Nope. The TE Tiburon NEVER squealed a tire, even on the dragstrip challenge. On the road course, McIntyre didn't attempt to gain points, admitting that it was in fact a straight track exclusive car. But I'd put my money in betting that it handles far better than any of our Tiburons simply for the fact that it's AWD. You can't get that kind of handling in a FWD car.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:02 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>sartis:
But I'd put my money in betting that it handles far better than any of our Tiburons simply for the fact that it's AWD. You can't get that kind of handling in a FWD car.</div>Hmm carefull there.... Yes in a way that tiburon is AWD in the sense that its pulling in the front and pushing in the rear..
yeah.. its a rocket going straight

HOWEVER!

that tiburon is lacking an AWD management system that makes most TRUE AWD cars handle well while turning. This tib has totally INDEPENDENT front and rear drivetrains, probably with open differentials, where cars like the Nissan Skyline, Mitsu Evo 1-7 and all Subarus to name a few have some sort of driveshaft that connects the front and rear axels and can deliver power to any tire. If the tib has open diff.s, it will only pull 1 tire as soon as it losses grip which makes things worse since the front and rear aren't even working together. So eventhough it will out run our tibs in a straight...he's going to have to pull himself out of the ditch in corner while we gracefully glide our tibbies to victory. well, something like that...

Rich.