Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Twin Air Filters?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm i had it in my head using Socks equation

if x = max possible air flow and y = restriction, then yeah with a filter flow = x-y, but, with x- 2y.... oh arse thats true. but, would the increased amount of possible airflow overrule the restriction the filter would cause? So ok if its causing more restriction than one filter, surely this would be cancelled out with the addition of more air available to be sucked in from a larger port as to speak?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Banned

well, it wouldn't cause MORE restriction really, it will just be adding the same restriction again.

may perform worse depending on the 'design' of the Y. highly doubt it would ever perform better with two filters with an optimally designed intake.

i don't know if i was really clear yesterday, so ill try to explain it more..

lets say your filter provides a 3% restriction (no idea what it does really, just a number) so y our getting 97% of the air flow with the filter installed.. if you add another filter, at BEST, you would still have a 3% restriction, yet possibly worse flow because of the Y. adding another filter will only give you the MINIMUM of the 3% restriction.

obviously when you take the filter off, you have 100% flow, but you can't mimic those conditions with any filter. adding another filter will just add more of the same restriction.

although, i can see where you came up with the idea. if you were out-flowing your filter, then maybe you could benefit from two filters, but theres no way in hell you will ever out-flow a 3" cone filter in a N/A tiburon.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

edit: socks beat me to it but I'll leave this post here in case somebody still doesn't get it.

If you get more power with no filter, adding filter surface area and decreasing differential pressure across the filter will get you more power also. Installing a high flow filter gets more power. Installing a bigger filter of the same type gets more power. Installing another filter of the same type gets more power.

PROPERLY made a Y will not be a restriction. Adding a second filter will get more power.

It will likely not be so much you'd notice, or be happy about spending the money on, unless you are going for a max-effort N/A setup. Note: running too rich and using one throttle body indicates you are not there yet.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Coupe

I have two filters on my supercharger setup. I didn't notice any performance gains but the filters look pretty good and may have lowered my intake temps slightly due to the lowered restriction.

So my conclusion is two filters look good but nothing else.

Its up to you to decide if it is worth it or not smile.gif
Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 AM

cheers for the feedback guys, appreciate that - Balbains, good to see youre still around with the coupe!

I might try a make shift trial for the dyno day just to settle it (im sure you guys are right smile.gif ) but ultimately i guess thats a no go.. ah well another idea out the window - guess i shouldnt try to re-invent the wheel eh?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Instead of adding a 2nd filter I would try a larger filter. You could create possible turbulence in the intake with the Y pipe. I recently put in a CAI on an '09 Chevy Silverado. The Filter on this thing was HUGE, probably double the size of our standard cone filters. Get your hands on something like that. Adding a 2nd filter of the same type will likely cut your restriction a bit, but if you're already running a high flow filter then you won't see much difference.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

What, there's no turbulence in ALL the pipe diameter and type changes, including the throttle body and intake manifold 1-4 split? wink1.gif
Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Androoo @ Jun 15 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>(PS: as a side edit, im running AFR around 12.2 through out the range at WOT, is this unusually rich? 95 octane... i was told that it didnt make any more power to lean out further, could this be true?)</div>

Wait, your running 95 octane? :O :O
Old 06-17-2009, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

95 octane is regular in UK (RON rating vs (R+M)/2 rating in US)
Old 06-18-2009, 02:44 PM

yeah sorry could have been a tad confusing there - especially if i had put our 99 ron laugh.gif

I measured up the intake system that I have at the moment, and with the standard tb being about 2 3/4", the intake matches this at the same.... im thinking much larger filter, but trying to track one down is proving a task and a half