Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Turn The Wheel But The Car Goes....straight?

Old 06-20-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

80% says it's the steering wheel. but i only say that because it's in my car too. when he was changing the wheel hub, he missed a few teeth on the steering sprocket thingy.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Mine does that too. My tires are not worn either. I've had 3 alignments already... maybe crooked steering wheel.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

Wear and tear will do it too.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:42 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Well I don't understand how the wheel just one day comes off, skips a few teeth, and bolts back on all by itself! I must need an alignment, like I said it was a pretty nasty skid, thankfully no damage was done to me or the car last year when it happened smile.gif except this I guess .. lol.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

iono but when i did my shocks and springs. the steering wheel was crooked like that and all it needed was an alignment.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

I will tell you first hand it is your alignment...your toe it set outward...hitting pot holes will cause this...I am in class now for suspension. I did mine, bought some camber bolts adjusted my toe and wallla, she is staight as an arrow now. when your steering is off like that it is because camber effects toe and vice versa.

to give you a bit more info on this

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>There are three adjustment parameters involved on each axle in order to properly align a vehicle. These adjustments are Camber, Castor and Toe. It is important to note that on some cars, you may only have adjustability for one or two of the parameters. For instance, you may only be able to make adjustments for the Castor and Toe on a certain vehicle. Another vehicle may allow adjustments for all three parameters, Camber, Castor and Toe, it all depends on your car.</div>

tiburons do not have adjustable caster or camber, only toe....which is adjusted with your steering link in the front and control arms in the rear.
if camber is off, this means one of three things, you have bent something, springs are sagging, or you need new struts. When they align your vehicle, the will set your steering wheel straight, then adjust the toe acordingly to make the steering wheel straight again.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:09 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

after an accident you may damaged some bushings and/or alignment went off.

aftre hitting a deep hole alignment can go bad as well.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

A worn or damaged steering rack could also be the culprit. That's where it's skipped a tooth or two... not at the steering wheel end.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

If your rack is worn that badly to cause it to skip a tooth, then there is more issues going on if you never hit anything. My statement above stands, also if you have worn ball joints on your steering links, then that could be the culprit. I replaced a set today infact, they were worn pretty badly, but the vehicle is also 20 years old, and his rack and pinion has not skipped a tooth....just go get it aligned, and make sure they do more then put it in the green, make sure they put the car right on to the factory specs to a tee...even .1 degree off can make it wander to the left or right...

To make them believe you are knowledgable on this, tell them to make sure not to just go by the total toe, but each toe is set to factory specs. Because your total toe will say it is golden, while the whole damn thing is off.

Just my .02
Old 06-23-2006, 02:21 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

That was very helpful. Thanks. Where's a good place to go? A big chain like Midas or something? otherwise there is this smaller place I drive by when I go to work everday called Hoover Wheel Alignment...lol, I guess since that's all they do maybe they do it good and won't f**k it up? lemme know what you think.