Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Turn Signals Are Messed Up.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok so I will start by saying '97 5 speed Rev A Tib.

Here is my problem. I got sideswiped (passenger side) about 6 months ago and lost most of my passenger side. I stripped a Tib in a local junk yard to get mine running again. I completely lost my turn signal plastic and the plastic piece that hold the bulb and connects to cars wiring harness.

When I pulled the corner light assembly I took the bulb holder piece (destroyed piece) that plugs into the cars harness. So here is my problem.

When I plugged in the bulb assembly thing to the harness my turn signal no longer blinks crazy fast. But when I turn on my driving lights or head lights, my rear passenger turn signal also turns on and just stays on. If I turn on the hazards with the driving lights or head lights, both rear turn signals just turn on and don't flash. And lastly if you turn the passenger turn signal on the A/C light and other environmental lights blink at the same rate as the turn signal.

So my question is because I pulled bulb assembly piece out of a '98 and has a slightly different shape but still plugged in could this be causing my problems? Could I cut my wiring harness and install the '98 wiring harness side? Is it a grounding issue some where? Or some other crazy thing.

Any help would be great because I hate electrical.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It is some other crazy thing. When wiring is smashed, it makes all sorts of interesting new connections . . . this also happens when someone "repairs" wiring incorrectly. It sounds like you have at least a couple of crossed wires in there somewhere. If you don't have a multimeter with a continuity checker, or at least a 12V test light, you will possibly not be able to get it fixed. Check hyundaitechinfo for wiring diagrams, and print them out.

You will hate electrical more, when this is all finished. laugh.gif
Old 05-30-2010, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Like Stocker said, print out the wiring diagrams for both years and double check they are using the same colored wires if they are different you may want draw out on paper which color wire is supposed to connect to the correct one on the new harness and then cut both connectors off and crimp the correct wires to each other.

Also double check that you have the correct bulbs in the correct sockets and then test all your fuses and relays that are involved. A good volt meter will make this process easier.

So basically follow the wiring diagrams from the fuse box to the lights until you find your problem.

Electrical issues like this sucks but sometimes you have to do it the long way before you get things working.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Krazy you're way off. Electrical issues like this suck almost always laugh.gif

That's a good point about the bulbs. It's counter-intuitive, but the wrong bulb in a socket can make the lights go nuts, for some cars and some wrong bulbs.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:57 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

So after I get all my stuff out to cut wires and solder in another connection I decide to look at the bulb from the donor Tib. And sure enough it is not the OE style. So a trip to the auto store and a new bulb later all of my problems are fixed.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

laugh.gif Great success!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Sweet! It's always best to finish double checking all the small stuff before moving on to the more in depth, time consuming diagnostics. Could've also been something as simple as low blinker fluid.

I had a '71 BMW that always wiped the windshield wipers twice when starting the car, as if to say hello. And only on the first, cold start of the day! It also honked when turning left, and was an absolute chick magnet.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

They never asked why you only made right turns? wink1.gif