Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Turn Key = Nothing?!?!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

GAAAAHHHH! I'll save the profanities that resulted from my recent experience....

Driving to see the GF.....to hours from home, hit an unavoidable pothole, and the car died. Same blown fuse.....AGAIN. Call the GF, she comes out the side of the highway. She watches the cars that are passing just in case one gets too close to the shoulder, while I remove every piece of hard plastic to get to the mess of wires under the dash.....I move stuff around, check the short that I fixed once already, and its still good. Replace fuse, car starts...drive 10 feet....fuse blows.....that was my last spare fuse, so I removed the front bumper ONCE AGAIN, and had the car flatbedded to her house....All the stores were closed, and Monday was a holiday. I had to go the extent of finding local body shops with totalled cars on their lot to see if I could find the correct fuse (I know its kinda stealing...but it was desparation). All of these fuses had been pulled, obviously the know the value of them.

So unable to find a spare, I left my car in her drive way 2.5 hours from my house, and she drove me to the closest train station (1 hour away) and I got to enjoy the ride on our local commuter line. I really don't know what else to look at to find the problem. Where I live and work, I NEED the alarm to be working. It was installed 3 years ago, so theres no warranty on it.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

check your alternator. see if ok.

i am half temped to say its the the key box AKA the ing switch...
your grounding out somewhere and its causeing the fuses to pop.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:43 AM

^^ I was leaning towards the ignition switch as well....
Old 01-07-2008, 07:59 AM

Ok, I've been battling this problem for months.....FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!

I'm going to keep it short and sweet, Friday night I had trouble sleeping, issues with a bad break up, and I was dreaming about watching movies in the car with my now former g/f. I woke up saturday morning, stumbled my tired ass up stairs, looked in the mirror and said "F***!!!! Its the power inverter for the PS2"

Sure enough, back in July, I had issues with it, and it over heated, I was on the side of the road and I disconnected it, and without thinking tucked the wires underneath the rear deck (where the seats used to be - SEE 2-seater conversion). The day that the problem first happened I had shoved something in there, not thinking about it and it must have caused the + and - to touch....

So I went to the car yesterday, fired it up, touched the wires together quickly, and POP! the fuseable link blew....I've never been so happy in my entire life.....all because of a dream.....

The lesson here is.....I need to sleep more..... nana.gif
Old 01-07-2008, 08:14 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kantizuni @ Jun 8 2007, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^^ Pft. I laugh in the face of electrical safety. And then I spit in it, to put out the flames.</div>
Old 01-07-2008, 08:33 AM

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know....

owned.gif by the gods of electrical safety.

At least Dynamat can't catch on fire....
Old 01-07-2008, 08:46 AM

I think we've all been owned.gif by the gods of electrical safety before, I had a grounding problem at/on the way home from nopi, nothin big just the underbodies but lesson learned lol
Old 01-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm glad you figured it out man... electrical problems are a PITA for the common person to figure out. (Maybe not DTN or Tibby01, but 99.8% of all other RDT members).

BLK2KTIB's post had me laughing.... "You took your bumper off in the middle of the street!" hahaha...

I can get my bumper off in like 2 minutes... you get practice with cars like ours. I have to take it off if I need to get towed (Flatbed only!) or change my oil, or alternator, or diagnose an electrical problem, etc. etc. etc.

REASON #1 to NEVER mold the front bumper onto the car... worst thing in the world you could do to your car!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 AM

When doing anything other than driving my car....

STEP 1: Remove front bumper
Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 AM

Do you all not drag the rear side profile and rear bumper when being loaded onto a flatbed? I called a towing company and they said they would probably tear my car up putting it on and off, with a flat bad. Can you all get on car dollies?