Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Turbo Timer Install Problems

Old 02-17-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I was installing a apexi turbo timer that i bought off a member here, i used the diagram that is on tibsunited and i everything was going fine. I unhooked the ignition cylinder harness and took the cylinder out and soldered in my wires. Reconnected the harness and cylinder and went to turn the key and nothing happened, no clock, no radio and sure as hell no ignition. I dont know where i went wrong, i soldered in all the right wires with real real solid connections and reconnected the harnesses right. I also unhooked the harness that goes to the steering wheel and the harness for the white plastic sensor/switch that is on top of the cylinder at first but reconnected them correctly. The only thing that i can think of is the wires that are wire tapped into the same ignition cylinder harness for the security system, there are two red wires and one yellow wire. the two red wires were initially connected to the same yellow-black wire like this (yellow black wire) -----------Red 1------Red 2------ and i reconnected them in that order but did not remember where the yellow wire tapped into, there is a tap for every wire in the cylinder harness and i tried hooking the yellow wire into each one with no luck. I just dont know where it goes or whether its the problem or not, im out of ideas. I tried checking the connections of the harnesses, the solderpoints, and fuses, and im getting nowhere. Ive got to be to work in a half hour, lucky for me i can use swifts spare car while shes home for the weekend but i dont know what to do to try and get my tib working again. here is a pic of the harness and the taps

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ale...ib/000_0093.jpg

please help out.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

did you check all of your fuses? are the interior lights working?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:43 PM

yah i checked the fuses and the lights all turn on, and the dinger goes on when i open the doors with the headlights on. it just acts like im not turning the key. but the cylinder is in there and screwed securely and it does turn like it should, where you can feel it beeing on ACC ON and START. but the car just doesnt react, clock doesnt come on, radio, nothing that would come on with the keys.

i have a prestige security system btw, if anyone knows where that yellow is supposed to go, cuz im clueless
Old 02-17-2006, 01:55 PM

sorry man, i have no idea after that, I haven't installed my turbo timer yet. I probably will in the next couple of weeks though.. so i'll be watching to see what happens. 02.gif
Old 02-17-2006, 02:19 PM

im assuming you're good with the parking brake wires and ground, soo....

1. the switch on the top is the key sense switch, dont need that at all.

2. did you unhook the battery before trying this? if not, there is a good chance you popped the ignition or starter fuse.

3. are any of the wires running from the car to the ignition cylinder broken(completely cut and run to different areas, as in to your alarm), or are all the connections just tapped onto the wires?

it looks like things are just tapped onto the wires, so you should still be able to start the car. im thinking you popped a fuse in the engine bay. one of those big ones. i can tell you the unhooked alarm wire with the fuse on would go to the yellow/black wire. the other ones, i dont know about unless you are able to find me an online diagram for your alarm.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I hope everything gets worked out, Im sure you did just pop a fuse or forget a connection somewhere. smile.gif
Old 02-17-2006, 02:56 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

check ign fuse under hood?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:32 PM

I am sorry this happened. Wish I could help.

Check all connections and fuses.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:35 PM

Ok, i got it, it was the ign fuse under the hood, i had looked at these fuses but i was in a hurry because i had to go to work so i didnt look as hard as i should have, On my lunch i gave it a thourough look and the ign fuse was popped, went and got a new one and it works, i can start the car and everything fine,

but my problems arent over

My timer works, its just doing the same thing as Swift's Greddy, (mines apexi), the timer keeps the electronics going and does the countdown and shuts off the electronics after the timer expires but the only small thing it doesnt do right is that it fails to keep the engine running lol. im assuming that one of these wires that i was instructed to tap into in the diagram below was wrong. if anybody that has successfully installed a turbo timer can look at their diagram and compare it to this one, so we can figure out the difference, id appreciate it

From tibsunited...

• Install the Turbo Timer:
The first thing is to remove the top steering column cover which snaps on and off.
Then lower the steering column at its lowest point to give more room to get to the wires behind the ignition cylinder. It’s still a tight reach to them.
(GRAY) Parking Brake wire from the turbo timer to the parking brake signal.
(RED) Constant 12V wire from the turbo timer should tap into the 12V (YELLOW WITH BLACK STRIPE) wire on the back of the ignition cylinder.
(GREEN) 12V Ignition wire from the turbo timer should tap into the “ON” (RED WITH WHITE STRIPE) wire on the back of the ignition cylinder.
(BLUE) 12V Accessory wire from the turbo timer should tap into the “ACC” (WHITE WITH BLUE STRIPE) wire on the back of the ignition cylinder.
(BLACK) Ground wire from the turbo timer can be grounded to the bolt that is facing upwards just behind the rubber shield above the steering column.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:00 AM

you need to tap into the ignition 1 wire. i think you have the ignition 2 wire. do a whole bunch of things stay on besides, lets say, the radio?

according to webtech its a brown wire. i dont think thats right though. it is pin #4 however. i believe thats looking at the male connector, with clip on top. the numbering will be like this:

is the wire tapped into 2 right now?

ill be fooling around with my car all day tomorrow, and i can definately tell you which wire it is, and the color of the wire(atleast on my car).