Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

tranny

Old 07-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile tranny

got tranny from salvage yard was 68000 miles on car brought home installed it put new fluid and filter also reset neutral safty switch. got in car started up warmed it to opp. temp . checked fluid was full. put in drive and no go was like in N no reverse eaither. also checked my tranny cooler and no fluid was pumped to it could i have gotten bad tranny . please help :Bang-Head:
Old 07-25-2010, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

of your not getting any fluid through he cooler then chances are you got a bum tranny. when the engine is idling it's still turning the torque converter which means the tranny is still pumping fluid. make sure the torque converter is good. that's the etent of my knowledge of auto trannys. i know more about manuals.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Not really familiar with the Hyundai automatic transmissions, but as far as I've experienced most automatics work off pressure from an internal pump powered by the input shaft. Bad pump or some other issue stopping flow of hydraulic fluid would cause the transmission to not work in any position and cause no flow through the cooler, it's more than likely bad, I've read that they were pretty weak transmissions to begin with and have had many problems.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Is the trans the same same year as your car?

What is your car?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 PM

Angry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bommello @ Jul 25 2010, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Is the trans the same same year as your car?

What is your car?</div>

my car is a 98 tiburon with the 2.0 dohc and the tranny came from a 98 tiburon 2.0 dohc with 68000 miles on the speedo but who is to say it wasn't rolled over i mean i might have been right theres always that chance being that mileage right. thanks guys ill try tommro and see if i can get a refund or keep this tranny since i had to give them mine for this one and $530. 00. bummer
Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

That's a lot even for an auto! I have ripped through several auto trans and I have zero engine mods, like Bommello said they are just weak. I recall reading somewhere that these were designed for the alphas and give an updated bellhousing to fit the beta. IMHO the 5-speed swap is in order. At this point I know you're knee deep in this but take it back, tell them the trans they gave you was crap , get you money and core trans back, then find a nice beta2 5-speed from an Elantra. I recall seeing those all day and night for $300 on car-part.com. Trust me those autos just keep frying, they're very finicky and really not up for any level of spirited driving.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'm not so sure about weak, but super picky about transmission fluid for sure.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM

Smile

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tibbi @ Jul 26 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>That's a lot even for an auto! I have ripped through several auto trans and I have zero engine mods, like Bommello said they are just weak. I recall reading somewhere that these were designed for the alphas and give an updated bellhousing to fit the beta. IMHO the 5-speed swap is in order. At this point I know you're knee deep in this but take it back, tell them the trans they gave you was crap , get you money and core trans back, then find a nice beta2 5-speed from an Elantra. I recall seeing those all day and night for $300 on car-part.com. Trust me those autos just keep frying, they're very finicky and really not up for any level of spirited driving.</div>

i call the yard were i picked up my tranny and told them it was no good and they asked who installed it . i told them i did . so i asked for my tranny and my money back and they said since i did not have a garage install it they could do nothing for me . so im out $530.00 and back were i started. the place that i got this from is C.d. cain auto parts inc. in gettysburg ,pa so if you live in pa this is not a good place.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Wait, this is a salvage yard and they were griping about a DIY job? These guys sound suspect, I would put some pressure on them.
Get pissy, make sure they want less to do with you and you with them. That's total BS and I in your shoes would bring a hell of a pain. They're just jerking you around.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That REALLY sucks.

Press the issue. If they won't give in, call the newspaper, etc. It might be a slow news day and they may help you out.