Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Totalled the Tiburon

Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I highly emphasize, use automotive clear coat for gloss. The regular store crap, even duplicolor doesn't hold guaranteed. I also emphasize, once you're done, store it for a month or more out of dust, debris, rain or else it will be ruined. If you're painting the hood, I suggest keeping it indoors for minimum 1.5 month, and don't clean/wax it for 6 months.

Gloss is $7.95 from here but without shipping cost: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp and you might be able to find more for cheaper online somewhere if you look around. Basecoat is $19.95 w/o shipping, but they do an excellent job matching it.

And it should be 800 - 1000 grit wetsanded (waterproof sandpaper will go for $6.00/pack) before paint. Always sand in a sequence from lower # grit to higher #. Pour some water (but not too much) onto the surface and sand it until you feel the surface rubbing. When the sandable primer dries, it will be nice and smooth.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Why must I store it for a month? I mean the most I can probably do is like a week, I need my car back on the road.. Maybe ill just keep the hood and bumper white if it wont hold up.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Primarily rain. If any water gets on there while it's setting (takes about a month), it'll blemish and crack off later on. Salt if you live in the north. The sun will melt the fresh clearcoat (in my case the car was in the summer sun, heat from the engine).

Just some advice though. I don't know what anyone else thinks but that was my experience when I was repairing a dent that came with the car and respraying my side mirrors.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:13 PM

yeah it sucks, I wish I could let it sit for a month, it will probably sit for atleast a week as I said, and thanks for the help HKC, FOr a spray job your car lookins amazing, I love the front bumper and the rims, Nice tiburon.. Now all I gotta do is find a turn signal , I have a feeling im going to have fun with that. oh yeah. I used Krylon paint for it, it dries in 10 minutes, so Idk if that would help with it being put on to early? Ill take a picture of the freshly painted fender and my other silver one so yous can see the match, I mean its not perfect but its pretty close just a little bit lighter in color
Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 PM

and thanks for the help HKC, FOr a spray job your car lookins amazing, I love the front bumper and the rims, Nice tiburon..

glad to help! as long as it saves you money and you're happy, and figured i'd help you out since nobody else chimed in.

that's a carbon fiber hood i was so worried about what shop would spray it correctly (certainly not maaco) especially because i live in D.C. and i've had a LOT of bad/costly experiences with people doing things incorrectly. in doing it myself, i could trust my own self

the krylon will look good for a month or two, but overtime it won't hold up and i think you'll create double the work/cost in fixing it when it does. but i can't say for sure b/c that's just from my personal experience. all i know is in order for it to hold, it needs to be specifically designated for automotive finish.

more advice to keep in mind: if you use sandable primer, it will keep paint/clear from sagging, rippling and dripping and make your job a lot easier. don't spray in one spot. don't spray too close or too far. tape off things you don't want sprayed. spray away from other things like glass and other vehicles to eliminate overspray.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 AM

How did you prep your front bumper for painting since its plastic? I put my fender on today that I painted to just see the color match and must say, even from 10 feet away it looks original.. I mean its not as sparkly as the silver paint on my car but its pretty damn close.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Oh yeah, so my fender came out a little to light compared to the other color, you think i should spray some black primer on the white hood to get it a closer match?? I just hand wet sanded it with 320 and then used a orbital sander to get out the paint chips.. Im thinking about going over with it with 400 grit like I did the fender too now, or you think thats useless?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM

My bumper is fiberglass but I prepped it with red sandable primer.

I think that no matter what you do, the hood will be noticeably different from the rest of the car if you don't use the original color. It depends on how much a difference. Test out some gray primer with one-two coats silver. Then do the same for black primer. But as I said before, it would likely be cheaper and more worthwhile just to get the original color and call it a day instead of trying and buying.

320 - 400 grit is the middle step in paint process. It's great for getting out chips and eating away resin easily and quickly. You can always use resin ($6.00 worth), or even glazing putty (maybe $3.00) to fill in the chips instead of sanding them out, but they tend to crack so you have to sand them out with 800 grit.

Always use at least 800 - 1000 before primer. Otherwise, it will never look proper, even with loads of paint.

Don't use an orbital sander, use something flat. My preferred choice is a sanding block, this one here by 3m ($9.00 but worth it):

Hm, if you're painting the hood yourself, let this be a fair warning. I've tried messing with white and gray primer before, even dulpicolor paint. You'll never be happy with doing it that way, and what might seem like a simple basic job will turn out to be costly and messy. The hood is a vital and large part that absorbs the most adverse conditions of nature of the entire car. I highly recommend using the right color and gloss, and waiting time for that. The rest of the panels aren't really as important if you're aiming for cost efficiency.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM

Here hows she's looking now, just need the windsheild.

http://tinypic.com/r/ajksjr/5

I hit the deer on the otherside but i got a silver fender from the junkyard, thats the painted side
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Awesome! Get that sucker back on the road!