Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Timing belt whine

Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Timing belt whine

Just got my timing belt, accessory belts, water pump, etc. changed recently and now I notice a whine noise coming from the belt. Its hard to hear or virtually non existent when idling, but you can hear it under accelleration. Its bugging the crap out of me since i never had this whine before. The belt was Continental. Is there a way to get rid of this noise? i heard it can be normal to have this noise, has anyone else gotten rid of it or just dealt with the noise?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Double check the tension ont he timing belt. If it's too tight, it'll whine.

They also tend to whine just a little bit for the first few hundred miles as the belt seats in.

What I did with my friends tib was set the final tension with the car running, using factory procedure, for the best compromise of whine and tension, not going below facxtory spec.

It's not for the feint of heart... Major pinch hazard and possibility of insta-grenade if you loose tension.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

all right, ill put some more miles on it and go from there
Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If it whined for more than a day of commuting, I'd have it back to the shop and make them loosen it. For free.