Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Timing Belt Change Notes, Thoughts And Follow Up

Old 12-12-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

My pulley DIY shows how to easilly get to those water pump pulley bolts. Undo the passenger motor mount, and the 2 mounts under the transmission at the crossmember. Jack up the motor.

Done.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:48 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OzFxCoupe @ Dec 12 2007, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If nothing moves when swapping the belt, why do you need to re-set the timing?</div>

that is one of the reasons I can swap belts so quickly. If you are careful, neither the crank or the cam pulley moves and you are golden. Just make sure to hand crank the engine over a couple of times to make sure.

Now, I never did the waterpump on my car. I bought a new one, but when I opened the box, it was a pump for a chrysler (in a hyundai box) so the original stayed on.

As far as belts go, as I did the underdrive pulley at the same time, I was able to replace most of them from under the car easier than trying to sneak my hands between the front of the engine and the wheel well. I DID remove the engine mount though, but used a jack to keep the engine level.

Honestly, the hardest part I found about the whole thing was getting my hands between the wheel well and the front of the engine to remove the timing belt cover.

When I get my new tib, I will do the belt this spring (along with the 1.8 cam and underdrive pulley again) and time myself and take pictures for everyone
Old 12-12-2007, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Red,
I did a search in the DIY forum and i could not find a post from you about pulleys in the sticky of approved. I know the search feature is our friend but could you take pity and post a link? After all you do have 26,000 posts to sort through when a search is done on your name, not to mention how many times people reference you.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

ok on step 15 should be step one
leave all the fan belts on, next tighen up the WP/ALT belt alittle bit, put a jack under the engine pull the top engine mount, then pull the pully with the belts still on. you have to use a 10mm offset boxer end wrench..
Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 PM

If my understanding is that Redz jacks up the engine enough to be able to get at it a lot more easy. Am I to understand that you just make a belt super tight to counteract the spinning of the pulley?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

ONly took me about 2 minutes to find.

Searched for the word...

pulley

Author of REDZMAN

It was about the 10th one down.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...t=0&start=0
Old 12-13-2007, 05:16 AM

Thank You. I did not use the super advanced search, I was just putting your name and pulley in the search box. Thank You again.