Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Tiburon primary/secondary coil quest.

Old 09-05-2002, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiburon primary/secondary coil quest.

Hey guys, i posted earlier about loosing some hp after 5k rpm and decided to check coil pack. So now i'm trying to check the resistance of my primary coil and well, i'm not sure if my primary coil is what the other end of my plug wires plug into. The reason i'm not sure is becuase they(HMA web tech) mention a 'second' coil. Where in the heck is this? The illustration for the 'second' coil looks like what the other end of my plug wires plug into which i thought was the 'primary' coil. Maybe you guys can clarify.
Also, I found a white residue around the elctrode of my spark plugs (all 4) and the HMA web tech said i may be running lean if i see a white residue. Well, i figured with 101k on the car i'd probably better change the fuel filter. How do i depressurize my fuel lines?
Old 09-05-2002, 02:49 AM

If you look closely your coil pack is seperated into two seperat units. Each coil pack runs two spark plugs.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:49 AM
Red

You're not reading HMA correctly...

There is not a primary and secondary COIL, there are primary and secondary WINDINGS per coil. Ignition coils are a form of four pole step-up transformer. There are two sides, a ''low'' side and a ''high'' side, also known as the primary and escondary windings.

You measure the resistance of the primary winding on each coil by pulling off the wiring harness connector and testing at those pins.

You measure the resistance of the secondary winding on each coil by pulling off the spark plug wires and testing at the contacts inside.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:52 AM

ooooh, thanks guys!