Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

tib go faster

Old 06-19-2002, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>tibboy316:
no my question was what is the best turbo i could get for the cheapest price and would i need to redo my engine to put nos on there</div>Ahh, the way you stated it above it looks like you said no to turbo and nitrous.

Unfortunately, 'cheap' just about never applies to turbo setups--be prepared for $3500 with parts and install, for a rig that may hit 180-200 whp. They go way up from there, and a few people are building them right now, use the forum search and you'll find a ton of details. There are no working out-of-the-box kits for the BETA engine right now, several places are developing them and say they are coming soon but holding your breath could be quite dangerous.

And yes, you can use nitrous with a turbo, just so long as you've taken the peak horsepower into consideration and have your engine designed for it. Read up on Red's project for one of the most aggressive plans for this setup you'll find.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:28 AM

sorry just learning about cars but what is WHP
Old 06-21-2002, 06:36 AM

Wheel Horse power.. Most accurate way of knowing the power at the ground..

a 500HP engine would be great but if you had 75% loss (for some ungodly reason) does you little good.

Old 06-21-2002, 06:37 AM

wheel horse power

what companies usually advertise is flywheel horsepower

Take for instance your tibby

Hyundai says 140HP,... what you actually get to your wheels is 120hp
this is do to all the crap your engine is pulling besides your tires.

do a search on what ever you desire,.. there is tonz of information in this forum
Old 06-21-2002, 09:36 AM

200lbs of weight reduction is significant. Just look at the most recent numbers comparing the race 03 tib to the stock...the race tib is nicely modified like most of our cars are, and is 470lbs lighter...and it is nearly 3 seconds faster to 60mph...

If you can get your car down to 2400lbs from 2600 lbs...I think you will be shaving off some serious time.

If you take out the rear seats...put carpeting there, because there isn't any insulation under there at all...at least mine doesnt have any. Oh and Hyundai made a bold faced lie about noise insulation in their brochures, because there really is minimal amount of noise reduction material in our cars.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:58 AM

OK, slightly different question.

Would I be able to make it into the low 14's with nitrous and the usual N/A mods?

Would I need a direct-port nitrous setup to accomplish this safely/reliably?
Old 06-21-2002, 05:01 PM

yes,
and
it depends.

you can go with a wet setup if you are very careful about...never mind... if safety is your goal, stick with a direct port setup(and some better pistons/rods, stronger head studs while you're at it, and a better head gasket).
The direct port setup is not all that much more expensive, but is more labor intensive for istallation. Figure about 1-3hours more depending on how well you know the compnents.
As for the strip timing, figure an average of 9whp for every 100lbs to keep the same e.t.
So it stands to reason that for every 100lbs you take off of your car, it's like adding 9whp.
Like Copa was saying, if you took 200lbs off, you "added" 18whp. Hence, the aforementioned 470lbs lighter tib is essentially 42.3whp better than a stock tib with the same mods.
So with my big ass sitting in my tib, I give up 14.85whp to the 150lb driver...or, I/H/E on a warm sunny day.