Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Tb Qs

Old 06-17-2006, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Been a while since my TB and Air-Ram install, and there a few lil gremlins that I need to work out. All these problems started occuring after the install. Haven't had a chance to really look @ the car, but after I clay bar it tomorrow I'll take a look myself to see if I've overlooked everything. Two things really going on ... no CEL, but maybe two connected problems:

- Sometimes after startup, and engaging the clutch on a roll, the RPMs will rev in between 1500-1800, and during shifts the RPMs will be slow to fall. This happens when its cold, when its hot, all sorts of random times, always after startup for a few minutes, but not after every startup. Once I come to a complete stop, the RPMs fall back down to the correct idle (900RPM). That would mean my idle is set fine... perhaps this is the sticky TB i hear so much about. Although I'd expect it to stick all the time, not some of the time.

- I can't turn on my A/C at all at a standstill. RPMs drop to around 400-500ish, not where I want it to idle at LOL. It doesn't have to be on cold, can be on hot as well. If the the A/C button is not depressed it idles fine. Something to do with the passenger side fan kicking on I imagine, but meh.

Anyone had any of these problems before? Car runs great otherwise, and aren't big enough problems to bother me too much.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:32 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I know everyone is expecting me to say this, but TPS mang. That's exactly what mine was doing.

I'd like to throw in also, I never, ever, had any TPS problems, till right after I replaced my RSide BBTB with the current one I have on there. As soon as I swapped the BBTB's, the problem started. I took my car in to Hyundai, had it swapped out in like 30 minutes, problem solved.

SO. Check your TPS MANUFACTURER name, and report back son!
Old 06-18-2006, 01:10 AM

After I installed the Kefico TPS my idle didnt drop slowly at 2k like it used to. But after my Airram install i had an idle problem which was due to my idle control valve hose to the airrram was kinking.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:09 AM

not to hijack, but it does have to do with airram gremlins... Tank, what did you do to to cure that kinking problem? I've got that too, and am looking for some type of sleeve to put around the part of the hose that kinks. Did you do something different?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:14 AM

The airram issue with the idle bypass is pretty easy to solve.

Get an idea on the shape of the curve you need, and go to autozone or another auto parts shop and ask to look at their preformed hose.

Go back there, find one with the right approximate shape, and the right size, trim to fit.

That's what I'm planning on doing to mine, a few guys suggested it here.

Make sure you don't have any vaccum leaks anywhere.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:15 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I think the best way to stop the kinking problem is to get hard vinyl tubing and route the bosch idle air controller UNDER the airram and then towards the elbow.

ham, I also think its your TPS.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Sonata Turbo

i was the same problem with my RPM the rpm goes down really slow when in neutral and when i shift at the dealer they said it was probably the tach but i'm shure it's not that.... and always stop at 2000rpm for a fraction of second then start going down to like 1000-1100 and when i stop it drop to 800-900....

so your saying that it would be the TPS ?

if i don't have a keifco where do i get one ? kspec ?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Meh, forgot to look. lmao.gif

Whatever TPS I have came with the TB.

Don't think my hoses are kinking as the tubing I used has very thick walls... Not flimsy at all. I don't see it kinking even under high heat.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:47 AM

The TPS has been talked to death.

The one MFR'd by DAE SUNG is bad. You need one manfuactured by Keifco.

If your car is still under warranty, you can get it done for free by taking it into the dealer and telling them that you believe your TPS is bad and that you want it replaced according to their Technical Bulliten on them.

If not, you can find the Keifco ones at the junkyard, auto shops, kspec.com , here.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:53 AM

I just used two feet of hose and put a hose clamp on the part that was kinking to stop it from kinking. The clamp keeps it from widening out.