Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

System Gt-r 61mm Bbtb, Any Good?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a System GT-R 61mm BBTB at a good price and am ready to pay for it. My question is is it worth buying? Are they a nice piece or should I just get another new System Upgrade 60mm (website says they now have a 63mm)?

Were there any problems with these?
I noticed that they used a stock throttle rotor, can the aluminum "acceleration pulley" be retrofitted?
If yes, can I get the cruise pulley to also work?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

A throttle body is a very simple piece of equipment. If the pulley turns the shaft which turns the butterfly and the TPS, then it's fine fing02.gif

You can make any rotor/pulley fit, it just depends on the shaft coming off of the TB, which you probably won't be able to tell until you get it in your hands. If the stock one is already on there, why would you want to mess with it? Stock suppors cruise..

Got any pictures of it?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

^^^No, it's not a simple piece. There is a version that's not made very well. May be the System, but not sure. The butterfly doesn't seal completely, so it causes irratic idling. And when you turn the butterfly enough to seal it, it doesn't read "0" on the rotation.
Like I said, I don't remember which model it is off hand, but you may need to read up more about it.
I know Redz knows the brand and will chime in.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 PM

I've hada a System 61mm BBTB on nmy setup for like 2 years now... absolutely no problems... nothing at all.
I bought it new from kspec, at first David didn't want to sell it to me because he said they were not good enough... in terms of quality or reliability, actually what he said is that some customers have had troubles with it in Korea (what Jon described I suposed). I still insisted that I needed a BBTB and it was the time when you couldn't find a TigerLily anywhere, so David and I agreed that he would sell it to me, and if I had any trouble, I would just send it back to get my money back (less the shipping) or a new one from another brand (at that time that was suposing the TigerLilys would be back in stock, what never happened). The thin is he didn't want any customer satisfaction problems.

So, my guess is those 61mm had troubles, not ALL of them, but some, and it got bad fame for all of them. If you ask me, it is an absolutely fine mod; however, mine could be on of the "good" Systems... idk

I haven't heard directly from anyone here that they had those troubles though.... maybe you know from direct experience Jon?

Note that I don't have any interest in defending the System since I won't be selling my car for at least a year or more, and I won't part it out so...
Old 09-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

i have the system GTR throttle body. it does NOT have the stock rotor.. its some purple thing on it.. its the 61mm version.. i have had it for a couple years now with NO throttle issues at all..

the only ones i have heard being crap were the black ones system upgrade was making a while back. i don't remember what the specific issue was, or what caused it, but there have never been problems with the GTR throttle body.

the problem is, there is probably some people that get the system GTR and system upgrade stuff mixed up, so theres going to be 100 people saying different things..

most of what i have seen with 'system' products as that they seem to be the OBX of korea, just a little better.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:41 PM

Hmmm....

I currently have two System Upgrade BBTB's (both black, aren't they all?) and the one that is installed works flawlessly.

The second SU BBTB (NEW still in the box) was a Beta II version I had that I was going to mate to my Beta II Air Ram. Now that I have both Beta-I Air Rams I need to find another Beta-I BBTB to match.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 PM

If it helps at all, mine is as SOCKS's the System GTR, it is bright polished and I forgot to mention also that it does NOT come with the stock rotor, also has the purple one... Maybe these are the good ones.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Here is the BBTB in question. It clearly has a stock type throttle cable pulley on it. Unless the guy switched it out and sold the acceleration pulley or something. Or is the acceleration pulley just altogether missing and that is just the cruise control pulley?

Old 09-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

^^ thats what im thinking..

i think the one that was leaking had some type of vacuum line not hooked up.. i think it was operator error, not part error..

but there ARE some TBs out there that have a non-sealing butterfly valve.. mine works fine though, so i don't think it was the old style.

wow, that looks like the old old school GTR TB. heres what mine looks like.

sorry, those are only pics i have, i have no real close ups.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks for the pics SOCKS. Looks like it does need an acceleration pulley added so that ads another $50.00...