Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Supercharging The Tiburon - My Experience And Thoughts

Old 05-13-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Coupe

This post is to give people an idea of what it might cost to modify the engine for performance of a Tiburon and what kind of gains can be expected from the car.

Before any mods I upgraded the braking system of the Tib using Mad Johns BBK and performance discs and pads. I also lowered the car using KYB AGX Struts and 35mm lowering springs.

Assuming Standard Car is 105WHP, I did not dyno my car as standard

Stage 1
8mm Magnecore Ignition Wires £80
Injen CAI £180
SSAutochrome 4-2-1 Header £160
2.5” Power flow Exhaust with high flow CAT £340
FSE Fuel Pressure regulator £95
Apexi SAFC-II £180

Total Cost = £1035

Total WHP = 117
Total Torque = 155.8 lbft @ 4935
Gain in WHP from standard = 12
Dyno Graph 1

£86.25 per 1 WHP

Stage 2
OZ Lightened Crank Pulley £65
OBX power and Water pulleys £60
Alpine Supercharger running 3” pulley £2100
SMT-6 £280
Walbro 255HP Fuel Pump £70
8.8:1 CP Pistons £550
MLS Gaskets £90
Rod Bearings £40
Belts £20
Polyurethane Engine Mounts

Total Cost = £3275

Total WHP = 186
Total Torque = 155 lbft @ 4500
Total Gain from Stage 1 = 69
Dyno Graph 2

£47.46 per 1 whp

Stage 3

Custom intake = £130
359 cc Bosch Red Top Injectors = £85
2.5” Supercharger Pulley £63

Total Cost = £278

Total WHP = 201
Total Torque = 196 lbft @ 3500
Total Gain from stage 2 = 15
Dyno Graph 3

£18.53 per 1 whp

What have I learnt?

Beware - Bolt on kits still need modifications!! I needed a lot more because I am in the UK and most of the kits are made for left hand drive.

One Step at a Time - Install your modifications step by step, I tried to install 270-degree cams at the same time as the supercharger and just lost money and time, it turned out the longer overlap just caused my boost to drop!! So I took a loss on the cams for no reason.

Planning long term helps to save money…. I could have saved a packet if I had just gone straight to an SMT instead of SAFC-II. Now I need to go standalone because of tuning problems.

Total WHP Gained from stock = 96
Total cost of Modifications excluding labour or tuning cost = £4588
Average cost per 1 WHP = £47.8

I am still running a stock clutch and flywheel…!

I have not included tuning cost because they will be different for everyone but try and do as much work yourself as possible, do not try to be optimistic, if you do not have the ability to do something get the garage to do it…. it will cost you a lot more if you take half an engine to the shop and ask them to finish it off.

Tuning on this car has cost me in excess of £3000…was it worth it…. maybe…but honestly would I ever modify a car again…probably not…would I sell this one…. definitely not!!

I would recommend engine mounts, although the car vibrates like mad it will reduce engine travel and prolong the life of other components….my throttle body was hitting my firewall before the mounts were installed……it still does now but less!!

Future modifications

70mm Throttle body from NGM
Water/Methanol Injection
Phantom Grip LSD – purchased not installed
Clutchnet Stage 3 Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
OMEX 600 ECU
Boost Gauge
Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 AM

Awesome topic! Definitely an eye opener to me. I've strongly thought of going supercharger instead of turbo -- glad to see that it isn't all gravy :-)

Old 05-13-2008, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

wow you spent a lot of money!!! probably the amount of the entire car. great information. that's a typical amount for the supercharger. i wouldn't say it's worth the extra 40 horsepower but it's definitely one of a kind. through my eyes it's the best thing you can do to a tiburon, but you have to have some time, money, and patience. upgrading injectors would give you some hp alone.

how are emissions?

good luck in the future.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:48 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^^"Total WHP Gained from stock = 96"

According to google currency converter assuming I did it right thats almost $15,000 US for your total cost plus tuning? Even if I didn't do it right its still alot of money.

I was thinking about supercharging as well but it seems like alot of money for not so much power.

Not that 96 whp is a small gain I would just expect more for that much investment.

Is your setup for the street with a mild tune and Could you get more power if you wanted ?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Coupe

The car only cost me £3000!!

The SMT is not very good for my application and the tune at the moment is not very good.

Emissions here in the UK are very tight but I have friends that hook me up... cool.gif

If I went standalone I could easily squeeze another 20 whp out of the setup but it's not worth the money right now.