Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Sunroof

Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

we have unibody cars, as are about all others since the 70s. the whole body acts as the chassis, providing stiffness. if you had a car where the body rests on a discrete frame then you could hack it up all you want, but you cut a hole in the tib and you will f up your handling.

it's the reason why all convertibles that come out are heavier than their non-convertible models. they have to SUPER beef up the underbody on convertibles to make up for the stiffness lost b'c of the lack of a roof.

it's possible, but probably cheaper to just sell your tib and get one with a moonroof. tons came stock with em.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Man, My Moon Roof wont open..lol I blew a fuse that went to my clock, back hatch light, and moon roof.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibby01 @ Jul 12 2007, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>we have unibody cars, as are about all others since the 70s. the whole body acts as the chassis, providing stiffness. if you had a car where the body rests on a discrete frame then you could hack it up all you want, but you cut a hole in the tib and you will f up your handling.

it's the reason why all convertibles that come out are heavier than their non-convertible models. they have to SUPER beef up the underbody on convertibles to make up for the stiffness lost b'c of the lack of a roof.
it's possible, but probably cheaper to just sell your tib and get one with a moonroof. tons came stock with em.</div>
Yeah.. that's what I couldn't think of.. Tibby01 explained it perfectly: Our car doesn't really have a "frame" but moreso a unibody. I refer to the "frame" when talking about our cars but it doesn't really exist. The entire structure of the body really needs to be intact to provide the stiffness and support. There have been pictures of a Targa top tib from years past, I would think after a year of driving he's probably moving sideways down the road.

RedShark - been there dozens of times... usually when I remove/mess with my head unit. If there's loose wiring back there or it gets exposed, it blows that fuse. I think it's #10? Easy find and fix.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

The targa top guy has been around for years, he never posted about having any problems.

Kit fox installed an aftermarket sunroof in his car.

BTW, the kind of sunroof you want, it is the same kind that came stock in our tibs. So, if you really want to do this, I would probably find a stock tib sunroof, headliner, and sunglass holder, and install it just like it was meant to be there.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ravdav super beefed up the underside though. whole bunch of subframe connectors.

as for kit fox and his sunroof, no clue.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

While on topic of sunroofs/moonroofs...

Do any of our cars come with glass sunroofs? (Isn't that what a moonroof is?)
Old 07-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

no, they don't. Our sunroof/moonroof is a panel that tilts, then slides back.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

How about an aftermarket mod? One that changes our panel for a glass one... or would that work since it tilts back rather than goes into the rest of the roof...

I just think a glass sunroof (tinted and what not of course) would be a great improvement...
Old 07-13-2007, 04:06 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majikTib @ Jul 13 2007, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>RedShark - been there dozens of times... usually when I remove/mess with my head unit. If there's loose wiring back there or it gets exposed, it blows that fuse. I think it's #10? Easy find and fix.</div>

Yeah, this is like the 5th time it's happened to me. lol
Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 PM

I put in an after market sunroof in my car... I love it! I believe the website said that it was meant to replace the one I had in. Fit EXACTLY into place and the install only took an hour. I would highly recommend it, as it required no cutting and only a few hand tools... I'll find that site again if anyone cares.