Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Structual rigidity?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: F2 Evolution
Default Structual rigidity?

Been thinking of ways to reduce weight on the Evo. Due to it being special edition, removing origional seats and replacing with lightweight buckets can't be done- I want to keep it looking OEM, keep all the mods performance related and hidden from casual view. Likewise, backseats unfortunately have to stay, again looking OEM, plus unlike with the GK, the RDs back seats are capable of fitting people in them.

I've already removed spare wheel and boot lining, rear speakers, electric arial+ motor, cruise control, and thinking of removing aircon.

The other idea I've had is removing bodywork thats double skinned and covered by trim- eg remove the door cards, get a holesaw, drill out big chunks from the inner sheet of metal, make the inside of the door look like swiss cheese, then replace the door card. If I did this, would it weaken the cars structure?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

So you want to know if cutting out large pieces of metal from the car will hurt it's structural integrity? hhhhmmmmmmmmm. I'm gonna have to go with YES.

If you drill out a bunch of metal, how much weight do you expect to save? Will it REALLY increase your power to weight ratio that much that you will notice a difference? I vote no.

Save your money for some real power adders if you're looking to go fast.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Vehicle: F2 Evolution

It's a common mod over here with track cars, can realy shave noticeable amounts of weight, however they have bracing and full FIA rollcages.