Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Stripped Bolt

Old 07-16-2009, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

ok so i put in my a/c tensioner yesterday and my altenator bolt is stripped and i have no idea's for getting it off. to make matters worse it's the one on the bottom of the altenator. any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

vise grips and a new bolt... Maybe for that location needle nose vise grips. Well worth the investment.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

you can also find some special sockets at most hardware stores, they will 'bite' into the bolt as you turn them
Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Heat that b****! Just try and shield the alternator from the heat. My mechanic friend told me, while helping me with some other stuck bolts, to try heat cycling. Heat the b**** as hot as you can get it with a torch (propane = good, mapp gas = better, acetylene = best), and then hit it with water till it's cold... Repeat. Do it three times, and then when the b**** is still hot the third time crank the vise grips as hard as you can on that b**** and torque it out (The heat cycling usually breaks it free). If you can get a grinder in there to flatten out the bolt head on a couple sides to make it easier to grip, or even maybe a dremel, do it.

The best (and usually easiest) if it's accessible, is to weld a nut onto it and use that. Unfortunately most of us don't have a mig welder just lying around. Thats my next big purchase.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 PM

I've used the following approach once. You can use a special drill bit that will remove damaged/stuck bolts/screws by drilling into it. Of course, this will only work if you can actually fit the drill:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/To...or%2B%25231.jsp