Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Strange Humming Noise/ Rough "feel" At 55-65 Mph

Old 02-26-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't better describe it other than to say that there is an rough sound at these speeds. I don't know where it originates from. It could be the engine bay, it could also be from the tire/wheel assembly?

The car feels rough when this occurs and it has only occured a couple times, both recently and both at those speeds. Additionally, the car hums when accelerating in 1st, kinda like an increasing vibration pitch. Doesn't happen in higher gear and has not re-occurred since. When it occurred, I almost thought it was a flat tire because of the sound/feel. Tire was fine. That's when I realized it could be anything.

Any ideas? I know this is a very vague description but so far thats all that's happened. The car felt fine today.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

yet another crappy hyundai wheel bearing. do a search for that term and you will find all you need to know about it.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:04 AM

Update: Today on my way to work, I heard this squeeling noise from the wheel well. Looks like you were right.

I'm gonna search for bearing posts to answer my questions of how much $ to replace? (Captive rotors).

I was wondering how long bearing's last when you've got 17s and a 5mm spacer on?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

if you can do it yourself (you'll need a press) then the bearing is like $40, but if you have to have a shop do it it'll probably be a couple hundred.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Feb 27 2006, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I was wondering how long bearing's last when you've got 17s and a 5mm spacer on?</div>

Not very long. LOL That is some real pressure your putting on those babies.

No way to bore out the back of your rim eh?

What about switching to Non-Captive Rotors?