Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Stranded. Wtf Happened?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So driving home tonight I drive over the bump where a bridge connects to land and my car just flat out dies. I mean seriously DEAD. no lights, no hazards, no ignition, no battery, no power steering, NOTHING. So after pushing my car out of a busy intersection and having a million people complain I should have my hazards on even though I physically cannot turn them on, a cop (an extremely nice one) decides to pull over and see what the problem is. Now by this time my phone is dead and I'm literally stranded. The cop looks around the car asks me if I didn't mind him taking a look under the hood for a minute. I pop the hood and he tells me it sounds like an electrical problem (duh). after about a minute of tugging on wires and looking at the battery, the nice officer picks the battery up by the handle, wiggles it a little bit and BOOM, life! the headlights turn on and instantly the door ajar alarm starts pinging. I ask the officer for his name and plan to write to the town for his excellent service. Now I just want to know what the hell happened to my car. Any ideas? Alternator, battery, faulty wiring?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sounds like a loose battery cable.

I'm serious.

Take them off, clean the cable ends and the terminals on the batteries properly.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well I'm no genius but if it was alternator then your battery would be dead! If it was your battery then your battery would be dead as well. So, I'm leaning towards battery cable wires just because when the cop moved your battery the life came back to your car. I would think you have a bad grounding wire. Check all connections on both ends of your battery cables, both pos and neg.......smile.gif
Larrs
Old 08-15-2009, 09:23 AM

I'll check in the morning. For the moment I'll have to deal with Geico and try to explain why I had to cancel my tow truck.

Also I was looking at the "big 3inch Upgrade" for wiring, should I just do that instead if I already planned to do it in the future?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Cant hurt, just use good terminals and make sure everything is clean and tight.

I would say its a cable issue for sure. Ive had it happen before.