Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Starting problems

Old 02-07-2005, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

May be problems with fuel delivery?

Any CEL?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:54 AM

Patreezy.. Mine did the EXACT same thing.... First thing.. the radio went crazy.. so i turned it off. turned it back on. same thing. so left it off. then clock went dim. then the guages went out. and no power. i pulled off the road and the car clunked to a stop. and didnt start again. lol. Well except it took me about 15 jumps with my friend in his neon close behind. And i still didnt even make it all the way home. LOL finally called a tow truck. And my alternator cost me 180... but yeah. If i turned my lights off and left my windshield wipers off (It was night and pouring down rain smile.gif it would last 30 seconds longer. lol.

To make things even more interesting.. My girlfriend was in the passenger seat. I had just picked her up from her Gma's house. We were going to Olive Garden for dinner.... She was laughing her ass off at me the whole time.. Needless to say, i didnt find 180 dollars amusing.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:02 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ericy321)</div><div class='quotemain'>Usually if the alternator is starting to die wouldnt you start to see problems in the audio and all that. I mean obviously not in the case above but I always thought that you would get some kind of warning other than slow start. I guess im going to go out and pull off my alternator and take it over to Autozone. If its alright im thinking im just going to put some new wires in and see how that goes.</div>

yeah you would start to see a drain, especially if you have a sound system. the altenator won't be able to keep the battery fully charged which will end up killing your altenator.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:22 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BuuGieWuuGie)</div><div class='quotemain'>Patreezy.. Mine did the EXACT same thing.... First thing.. the radio went crazy.. so i turned it off. turned it back on. same thing. so left it off. then clock went dim. then the guages went out. and no power. i pulled off the road and the car clunked to a stop. and didnt start again. lol. Well except it took me about 15 jumps with my friend in his neon close behind. And i still didnt even make it all the way home. LOL finally called a tow truck. And my alternator cost me 180... but yeah. If i turned my lights off and left my windshield wipers off (It was night and pouring down rain smile.gif it would last 30 seconds longer. lol.

To make things even more interesting.. My girlfriend was in the passenger seat. I had just picked her up from her Gma's house. We were going to Olive Garden for dinner.... She was laughing her *** off at me the whole time.. Needless to say, i didnt find 180 dollars amusing.</div>

OMG, that is crazy! Me and my girlfriend were driving to Claim Jumper's for dinner. It was nighttime but no rain! That's CRAZY how similar our situations were. Took me a few jumps as well too. I gave up when we got to the hill, it was like, jump my car... let it sit and charge, then take off at full speed to get momentum. Then car starts to die in second gear as I'm slowing loosing speed uphill. Then I start rolling back and back into driveway....time to start over and do it again! Yeah, it was a pain. My g/f didn't think it was funny, she was scared. Literally she was freakin out because everything was dieing in my car and she thought she had done it because it all started when she changed the CD track. LOL It's weird to think that your headlights use less power than your clock....? Maybe there's a set-up that makes sure that your headlights go out last or something.

Did you do the install your self? Maybe you can help me out? I'm getting my new alternator in today and am going to attempt to install it before work, I have about 2 hourse to play with it. Maybe I'll wait till tomorrow for more time.....
pganpath@mac.com
Old 02-07-2005, 11:03 AM

it was really very simple.. the longest part was debating on taking off the mud guard because i was lazy.. after i took it off it was simple. seriously the hardest part was taking and puttin back on the mud guard cause i just didnt feel like it. it took all of a half hour i think.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have checked battery with a voltmeter and everything is normal there. the CEL has come on a few times very briefly over the past few weeks. im actually looking into getting an OBDII scanner to check that out. Im going to look into doing the "Big 3 Wire" upgrade in the DIY section and see if that gives me any improvements. and first chance i get i still want to run my alternator over to autozone. are they hard to get out of the car because i know they only check it off the car?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:27 PM

acually they can check it on the car. but its not as accurate. well that might only be at advanced
Old 02-07-2005, 03:34 PM

Check your voltage with the car running and let us know what you get. Should be around 13.7 or so.

And yes, it does take a while for your alternator to totally crap out. I remember measuring my voltage about a week before it totally failed, and I was only getting 11.5V at the time. I figured maybe my DMM was bad, or I wasn't getting a good measurement, and figured it was no big deal. A week later, I was driving along and my radio started cutting out, then the clock dimmed, and then my car just totally died. So yeah, with a multimeter you can definitely tell if your alternator is going before you start having major problems.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:55 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ericy321)</div><div class='quotemain'>It does start up quicker when it is warmed up already</div>

Possibility here, check to see if you have a leak on your Intake Manifold due to warpage. I had it happen this time last year, and when it's cold it'll happen more often. Just listen to hear for any hissing/sucking sounds. Get somebody to give the engine a little gas and you'll hear it easier.

I warped my IM and it didn't sit flush with the motor. Basically it was stalling itself out due to air being sucked in after the MAF and injectors. When it's colder out, denser air, it happened. It went down to -20C last year January, that's when I noticed the problem.

Of course check all the easy electrical things first.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:20 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

If everything's okay with your battery than I don't think 0 gauge wire for extra grounding spots is neccessary, but still a good idea if you're going to have a lot of extra little things running of of your car battery.
You can check alternator while it's still in engine bay (they just clamp on volt-meter on battery terminals and you start car and see if anything is received from alternator diodes. In my case, nothing.....it was completely dead.
I actually just got done doing the install yesterday and it's not bad to get out.
I would guess an approx. 1 hours work to get it out if you're using a stock car jack (like the one in the back of your trunk) and basic hand tools (ratchet set, etc.). I fortunately know the owner of the local Big-O Tires and he always lets me put my car up and use his tools (and in return I get him customers...sweet deal overall) and it took me 12-15 minutes to get alternator out (that includes a cigarette break...lol).
Only problem is Autozone won't take it out for you (they are strictly parts atore usually, no installation) so if you want an accurate reading on alternator you gotta take it out yourself. Honestly, I don't think you need it, just get it checked and see how much power it's giving out. If it's below 12, replace it.