Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Starting problems

Old 02-06-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a wire brush and clean your terminals real good and make sure the connections are on tight and touching the metal on the bottom part of the battery terminal.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:06 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Eric, I would highly suggest going to AutoParts Store and getting a diagnostic check done on the alternator. It's free and that way you'll know if it's a faulty alternator (maybe just the bearings in the alternator need replacement, maybe whole alternator which is about 160.00 dollars).

If it is alternator, then battery you bought was a waste, because the new battery you have (with a full) charge will eventually die because alternator is not fully charging battery and then in the morning you try to start car with only half or partially charged battery. Start-ups usually take lots of battery power and need almost full-charged battery. If it is alternator then get whatever replaced and then let the new battery you bought go through a full charge cycle with the alternator and problem should be fixed.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:07 PM

check to make sure your airfilter is clean.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kit-Fox)</div><div class='quotemain'>check to make sure your airfilter is clean.</div>
ha, thats funny.

when you first got your battery was your car starting normal??? if so it is most likely your altenator on its way out. those things usally die slowly.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:24 PM

Usually die slowly my A**!!!
Mine was running fine and dandy until I was on my way to g/f's dinner party with her in the car and all she did was change track on CD player then all hell broke loose. Radio made weird noise and shut off, would not turn back on. Then clock and interior lights start to dim (minus the led needles because those take no battery at all). Next turn signals don't work. Car starts to slow. I turn hazards on which don't work. Luckily my headlights still work because it's nightime. Then needles on instrument cluster all drop to zero at the same time. Then car really starts to get slugglish and by this time I'm pulled over. I turn off car, check belt tension on alternator and try to start car and nothing worky! That's not my definition of slow!

It was a fun night though, very funny, she was like "OH MY GOD! WHAT DID I DO? I was just changing the song! I SWEAR! I'M SO SORRY" and I just played along with it too....heh heh

But, dude, definetely get your alternator checked out, and starting mechanisms, it may just be starter but I don't know too much about those on our cars so go to somebody else or webtech with help on starters.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:34 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Patreezy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Usually die slowly my A**!!!
Mine was running fine and dandy until I was on my way to g/f's dinner party with her in the car and all she did was change track on CD player then all hell broke loose. Radio made weird noise and shut off, would not turn back on. Then clock and interior lights start to dim (minus the led needles because those take no battery at all). Next turn signals don't work. Car starts to slow. I turn hazards on which don't work. Luckily my headlights still work because it's nightime. Then needles on instrument cluster all drop to zero at the same time. Then car really starts to get slugglish and by this time I'm pulled over. I turn off car, check belt tension on alternator and try to start car and nothing worky! That's not my definition of slow!

It was a fun night though, very funny, she was like "OH MY GOD! WHAT DID I DO? I was just changing the song! I SWEAR! I'M SO SORRY" and I just played along with it too....heh heh

But, dude, definetely get your alternator checked out, and starting mechanisms, it may just be starter but I don't know too much about those on our cars so go to somebody else or webtech with help on starters.</div>

hmm i've never seen one just die before. all the ones we get to the store are usally starting to produce low voltage. but you should definally get it checked out right away.

ha, that would be a fun night
Old 02-06-2005, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

use voltmeter to check alternator and battery. Measure voltage on battery clamps

with engine turned off voltage should be 12V
with engine turned on 14V
while you are using starter - voltage shouldn't be lower then 10,5-11 Volts
Old 02-06-2005, 02:19 PM

I did get alternator checked with voltometer. Absolutely nothing w/ car on or off! So, I ordered a new one, 161.00 isn't bad i guess. Rather get a new one than taking chances with one from a junkyard. My battery is fine, and I just bought new one.

It was a fun night. I couldn't leave the car in that parking lot so we had to keep jumping the car to get her started and then the battery charge from the jump would die in like 5 minutes or less. But we got to dinner, had a blast. She's now 18 and the first thing we did was buy a pack of cigs, of course. Then we flaggged down numerous strangers to keep jumping my car (lucky I had cables)...there's a huge hill you have to get up to get back to my house and it took about 6-7 jumps just to get up the hill, I think 9-10 jumps total that night. And the restaurant is like 10 minutes from my house! VERY fun night, once we got back.

I thought it was weird that it just took a dump like that too. That's why I checked the belt because i thought maybe it flew off or was so loose that the alternator wasn't even rotating, but there was only a tiny bit of play in the belt...?

Anybody else had alternator problems with their tiburon?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Usually if the alternator is starting to die wouldnt you start to see problems in the audio and all that. I mean obviously not in the case above but I always thought that you would get some kind of warning other than slow start. I guess im going to go out and pull off my alternator and take it over to Autozone. If its alright im thinking im just going to put some new wires in and see how that goes.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:49 PM

Check your battery voltage too, maybe a cell went out in it and it's not producing enough amps to turn the starter over. But I think you said you bought a brand new battery, can't remember. Also, do the "Big 3 Wire" upgrade in the DIY section. It may not be the problem but it's a good idea. Maybe even make if 4 grounds, I know a few extra spots if you can't find them.