Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Starting Car Without The Starter

Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

So this morning my gf leaves for work and comes back in and tells my my dome light is on. It was on for a good 24 hours at least. She stuck around to see if i needed to jump start my car but I didn't.

My question is I have heard of people able to coast and just let the clutch out to start the car. I have never scene it done before and wondered if anyone has done it in a Tib. Is there a preferred method to this? How fast do you have to be going before you drop the clutch?

Just never done this so i was looking to see how its done,and if there is anything one should know when doing this?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, on a Tiburon no.. but on my grandfather's old 1970s FIAT, Yes.

This is many years ago so from what I can recall it involved some people pushing the car, gaining some decent momentum.. having the car in 2nd Gear, and then dropping the clutch.

If there is a decent slope on your driveway, you can probably do this, but it is not guaranteed to start every time!

Also, I dont know what kind of damage it would do to the car. So use at your own risk.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Ya that what i was wondering, i didnt know if the newer cars could do that or not. Hopefully someone can sound off on it.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I've had to do it a few times. First time because I forgot I left my 4 ways on and the second time because my stupid, cheap autozone battery died after a year.

Anyway the way I did it was put the key to the on position, put the car in 1st(or 2nd), either roll down a hill or get someone to push you. Once you rolling at a decent speed(idk what speed exactly maybe 5/10mph? idk) you drop the clutch and pump the gas and the car should start right up.

Now is that the proper way to do it? No clue but its gotta be pretty close.

I think the whole idea behind this is to get the engine rotating fast enough by using the momentum of your car rolling. Kinda like a pull start on a lawn mower, just without the cord
Old 12-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ good analogy.

Just don't be a jerk like I did when I was 20 and leave the emergency brake set when you get a bunch of guys together to try to push your F350 owned.gif

that has a bad fuel pump and won't start anyhow

which you diagnose after they pushed all 7,000 lbs of it UPhill into a parking lot drillsergeant.gif
Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I attempted it once, but at the end of my driveway, I have to go REALLY slow to not scrape. I probably would have been able to do it, I just needed to get going a little faster than I was.

I can't see how doing it in a Tib would be any different than the Hondas I've had to push while the owner popped the clutch. (True Story)
Old 12-08-2008, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Works fine on the tib. I've done it several times on mine, car stalled for whatever reason and was still rolling, you just put it in gear, I like 1st, and pop the clutch when you have enough speed, whammo, car starts.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:29 PM

i had to do it when my starter died. i did it in 1st and reverse haha
Old 12-08-2008, 03:35 PM

I lost count of how many times I had to do a compression start on my car. I keep forgetting to turn off my marker lights. I had to do it for like a month straight before I finnaly broke down and bought set of jumper cables haha.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

yeah it works, just make sure the ignition and stuff is on.. so have the key in the position it would be in when the car starts.. cuz no matter how fast your going, without fuel and spark, your not gonna start the engine lol lmao.gif

i had my grand am push started by a truck in the hyundai dealer parking lot.