Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Starter Button Question

Old 07-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Hi,
I was thinking about doing the starter button DIY, and I came across this switch on eBay.
eBay push button starter
It says you simply need to connect two wires to the 12V constant and the starter wire near the key ignition, and it will work. There's no complicated relay system or anything else, and I asked the seller about a relay, and he said it wasn't necessary as everything was built in. It makes perfect sense to have just a simple switch between the 12V power on the steering column and the starter wire. Is it possible to go without the relay and simply hook in a higher power switch? I don't see why that wouldn't work...
So now I'm wondering, is it necessary to get any complicated switch, or is it possible to just get a normal push button switch and hook it in to the two wires mentioned?
Thanks in advance!
SE
Old 07-07-2006, 02:55 PM

The reason why you need a relay with the H*nda S2000 button is because it can't handle the current from the starter circuit, and you will fry the switch without it. That button looks a little more robust, so you might be able to get away without one. However, the S2000 button is cheaper ($20) and looks nicer, I think. Also it lights up (dimly) at night, whereas the one on ebay doesn't light up at all.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:57 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

it is quite easy to do; all you really need is a contact/connection (momentary close) between two wires. you'll find all of this out if you have installed alarms, remote starts, starter/ignition kill systems (or even hotwiring a car shhh.gif lol.gif)

oh btw, we have a DIY here for this: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=1002
Old 07-07-2006, 03:52 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

spice - I dont think you can buy the S2000 button for $20. I think the cheapest I've seen it is $40 plus shipping on ebay.
but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:05 PM

I think it's rice.. your car has a perfectly good start position on the ignition switch
Old 07-07-2006, 09:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Oh, so almost any connection switch will do as long as it is more powerful of a switch? And you only need the relay on the S2000 starter because it's too weak? How much amperage does a switch for this application need to hold?
I know it's rice, but it's still really cool, and if I can find something that works for less that $20, it's going on.
Speaking of rice: shifter
Thanks again!
SE
Old 07-09-2006, 09:08 AM

If I was going to run NO2.. I would consider something like that shifter.. could be a cool arm switch
Old 07-09-2006, 03:03 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon RD1

I'd rig that shifter button for the Ejecto seato cuz......ha ha. Sorry just got done watching FF2.