Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Stalling

Old 06-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

My 2000 tib is randomly stalling when I put in reverse mostly but it has stalled when i put in drive but not very often. While im driving it doesnt stall only when I put in gear but not all the time. Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Idea 1: punctuation, use more of it!

Idea 2: information, supply more of it.

Automatic or manual transmission? Any modifications to the car? Has it 'always' done this, or is it a recent development? Anything more specific than 'sometimes' would be great. 'my car always does x when I x' is a lot easier to give advice about than a 'sometimes'
Old 06-23-2010, 02:21 PM

It's a auto that's why i said drive joke.gif There are no Mods to car. It's a recent problem. It doesn't stall every time when I put in reverse or drive its random. There are no CEL on and it doesn't stall while in gear. A few months ago I did have a Transmission code p0734 but I had no $ to get fixed so I turned overdrive off and reset computer. It was fine after that but no overdrive (LOL) and the CEL never did come back on. I'm hoping it's not this problem that's causing the stalling but with my luck it is.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

By stall, do you mean it dies completely, or just that the engine seems to be heavily loaded/struggling to run?

When is the last time you changed all the transmission fluid as well as the filter on the transaxle?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:30 AM

It dies completely. I bought car 6 months ago and found receipt from valvoline and it was changed 20k miles ago.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

go to engine bay, find yellow thing... thats your dipstick, pull out and examine oil. Clean it off and stick it back in, wait a second... pull it back out and check your oil level. (with the engine off of course)

In all seriousness, if you found a receipt for an oil change over 20k ago its time to change the oil if you havent done it since you've had the car.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 AM

Wake up drillsergeant.gif were talking transmission fluid not motor oil!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yea checking the trans fluid is a little more complicated than that lol.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Grimfang, please stop Quoting the last post. Everyone has read it once, no need to post it up again right away. Your response is assumed to be to the last post in any given thread. Please use the Fast Reply or Add Reply buttons at the bottom of the thread instead.

Unless your receipt specifies that they used the Hyundai-recommended fluid (SPIII?) *and* changed the filter at the last service, it is <u><span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">VERY STRONGLY RECOMMENDED</span></span></u> that you go straight to your local dealer and buy a filter kit and several quarts of the OEM-provided oil for your transaxle. Every day that the wrong type of fluid is in use in your car is a day the transaxle is suffering damage. If you can't have them do a proper flush, I'd say change the 3qts. you can get out of the drain plug at least twice, to get the wrong stuff out.

IF that cures your problem, then the next thing to buy is a thermostat-controlled ATF cooler. ALL RDs with automatic transaxles burn their fluid. Turning brown is "normal" because the fluid is "normally" run 10-15 degrees too hot with the stock ATF cooler.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:26 PM

The receipt says MAXATFB fluid, so I'm off to dealer to get correct fluid. I hope this solves my problem. Thanks for your help.