Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Sqeaking...

Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

Ok, for the past weeks my car has been sqeaking, but it only does it when i start the car from a very cold start (and it last all of a minute, if the defrost is not on), turn on the front window defrost (not all the times), even if i press the A/C button and the air is coming out to the floor

now last week I did put belt dressing on the car, but it did not last that long

i have been thinking just to replace all the belts, besides the timing belt, has not been on there for 10,000 yet

idk, help me out

o i have not trying tightening them either
Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 AM

Mwood that sounds like your belt tension.

Tibbychick having same problem.
My bakkie squeaks when just started and goes away.
On the bakkie i give it a slight rev and it goes away.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 AM

bakkie?

i figure out why im getting sqeaking noise from my belts...the bolt that tightens the alternator is gone? how idk...on my way to autozone to see if they can help found me a bolt or something
Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: car

Replace your belts. Don't use belt dressing. It's meant for V belts, not ribbed. We've got 3 on the Tiburon Beta engine (assuming you still have AC). There is nothing wrong with your tensioner, nor could there be. We don't have spring tensioners. Those go out on newer cars. The spring get's weak causing your belt to not be as tight as it should be which = squeaks. It's nothing to do with your timing belt.

Most likely it's power steering, just tighten the tension as much as you can. If I remember correctly, I just used a prybar and wedged it under the pump and stretched it as much as I could.

If that doesn't solve it, one of the bearings could be going bad in a pulley (alternator, AC, PS, idler, etc) in which case you should try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from. For some cars you can buy just the pulley for the alternator idler and power steering, I don't recall if you can for the Tiburon but it's worth a shot if you need to.

Let me know if you need an advice/instructions.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

My tib had this problem, and so does my roomate's. I'm pretty sure this just an inherent problem with cold weather starts on the tib. I also believe it is the power steering belt, however I've never tried fixing it.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:58 PM

Having a similar problem here as well. Squeals really loudly after being started. Also, when I turn the steering wheel, the power steering pulley often doesn't continue to spin correctly. This is even after replacing the entire power steering pump.

Here's a video of what's going on:

Loud Video

Mwood, is this the same as on your tib or is it just a noise issue?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I had the same problem with my tib a month or two ago, I tried tightening the belt and that didn't do much so I replaced the belt and when I examined the old one the inside was completely glazed.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 PM

likeyoumeanit,

did you have the same problem as I do in the video? (pulley is having trouble rotating properly)

That'd be nice if that's all it is.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:03 AM

I know what the problem is and im waiting on the part...its the bolt tighting the alt belt, cuz i can see it in my volt gauge that it is jumping around, just have to wait till it get here and i will update...

also i only used that belt dressing on time and have not used it since
Old 01-16-2009, 05:10 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Sleeper: yes, that's exactly what mine was doing.