Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

speedo testing procedures

Old 01-22-2005, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo testing procedures

my speedo has died, and i replaced the sensor on the transmission, but it still doesn't work. i looked on webtech and couldn't find any testing procedures for the speedometer guage. does anyone know of any? i'm guessing i need to replace the guage, but i'd rather test it before i dish out $200. thanks.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:17 AM

check ebay sometimes these go on sale. i got one for around 50
Old 01-22-2005, 09:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Have you messed with the needles at all lately?
Old 01-22-2005, 11:28 AM

I would definatly look on ebay.. there is always the possibility you could get an almost new cluster that would appreicably "lower" your miliage.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:33 PM

To test your speedo, it's pretty simple. You have a tach? Get a friend with a tib like you with the same wheel/tire size. Tell him to go at 3000rpm in a specific gear and check what speed he is at than do the same in your car, in the same gear and you will know right away if there is a difference.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:55 PM

mcfly, you didn't read the post...my speedo stopped functioning.

redzman, i haven't touched the needles. about 4 years ago, i put some guage faces in. i didn't know much about my car then, so i had a mechanic do it. well, he tapped the speedo wire to get power for the indiglo switch. I eventually took the guage faces out, but the thing is, the guage worked fine for about 4 years after taking the guage faces out. that's what gets me. so the other day, i took my dash off and took the wire tap off of the speedo wire. i cut and resoldered the wire because i know wire taps suck and usually cut the wire in half anyway. still doesn't work. but here's the weird part...when i replaced the speedo sensor on the tranny, the speedo started working again...it worked for two days and quit again. i don't get it. so i'm thinking the actual guage is messed up, that's why i'm looking for a testing procedure. i'm also curious as to if there would be any problems ordering a new guage because the odometer is in there, and i'm assuming a guage replacement would replace the odometer and then my car would register 0 miles, so no parts supplier would be able to sell me a new guage...HELP!
Old 01-22-2005, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

turbulence, it is VERY easy to swap out the odometer assemblies(between diff. clusters), and a replacement odometer can be had on ebay for VERY cheap. check out my glow needle DIY, it should give you an idea of how to change the odometer assemblies.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

larry i know he said his speedo was broken but even if he was looking for a way to test it that is a real hard way to test it...

get a friend and go on the highway...have him pull beside you and get him to reach the same speed as your speed, and tell him to remember his speed when you give him the signal...then compare speeds...much easier...dont need to even be the same car...

sorry about ur speedo man...boobies.gif..boobies to cheer u up
Old 01-22-2005, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

his is compltely dead alex, not just working wrong(if i rememebre correctly).
Old 01-23-2005, 01:29 AM

Could be an electrical problem that is damaging the sensor???? so the speedo don't receive any signal???

Check your speedo and pay attention if it moves as soon as you open the start switch......

To test.... do about the two car side by side.... its easy....

or

Get High speed in the Highway in front of a police..... He will tell you your speed for sure... LoL just a joke man...