Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Something Is Wrong?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I need some help as I am no good at diagnosing problems. My tib has been running fine, no CEL's, no problems with revving or power. The engine does make a ticking noise tho. It sounds louder towards the back of the engine near the injectors. I have noticed nothing different about the performance of the car. I have noticed two things. The ticking seems to be in sequence with the engine, in other words if I rev up the engine the ticking gets faster. The other thing I noticed is the longer the car has had to warm up the softer the noise is. I'm just looking for suggestions right now of ways to diagnose the problem. I probably will not be able to record the noise.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

HLA's may be going bad and the stock injectors are known to tick loudly. Im more inclined to say that your just hearing the injectors.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Check your oil level.

Fill it as needed.

If it's still ticking after driving it with the oil level full, do a can of seafoam in the oil, as the instructions state, near your next oil change.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:46 PM

Do you have an OEM oil filter on your car? there is a TSB out for that. if you use a aftermarket filter( one that is not OEM) that causes lower then normal oil pressure and the noise you are hearing
Old 02-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Most likely you let your car get a little low on oil, doesnt have to be that low to starve the HLA's, and they'll tell you when they're thirsty.

We had this happen to us in the accent today, a little oil and she quieted right up...