Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Some Trunk Problems

Old 02-20-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i searched and couldn't find much. The first problem is my hatch lever pops but does not open the trunk. I have to use the key unlock on the trunk to get it to open. Then the main issue is that the trunk levers do not hold the trunk open. It is extremely annoying to hold the hatch open to put stuff in mad.gif

Soo where can i buy some replacement levers?? Or is there a way to fix these. Oh and they leak fluid everywhere too.. owned.gif
Old 02-20-2009, 10:21 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

we just had this thread yesterday.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=30255
Old 02-20-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

DTN - I think this is something different, sounds exactly like my problem.

My lever works and I here it release the hatch, but the hatch doesnt go up far enough in that initial release to escape the latch and be able to be opened. I would say start with new Gas Struts.

These should work:

Ebay gas struts

They say they are for 1997-1999, But I dont see why they wouldn't fit 2000-2001. Let someone chiime in to confirm before ya order these.

The other thing you may need are the rubber feet the hatch actually rests on. I've heard of modifying these with something as simply as putting a nickel under them. THese also help the hatch stay open to become free of the latch and allow you to raise the hatch. I always have to use my key as well. I've kinda gotten use to it now. But....my struts still keep my hatch supported, even in the cold of winter. Sounds like you should start with replacing these in the first place if you are having to hold it up all the time.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

oh, my bad. Just replace them. They cost $3 at the dealership. I've replaced both of mine and have an extra sitting here.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

^^^ I have the same problem too.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Thank you tibbytib! Those look like they would fit, but does anyone know for sure???
Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 AM

Hello,

I'm having all the same problems as liljake351 - the trunk lift gas struts no longer work and did leak fluid (it's been a while, so the fluid seems to be gone now) and the trunk release lever releases the trunk lock but not completely so I have to use the key (also discussed in this thread).

My local dealer wants to charge me $125 CAD per strut to replace them, hence why I've been carrying a small shovel in my trunk to hold the trunk open for over a year!

Anyway, I've looked around online but can't find much available for '00-01. I'm very leary about trying the '97-99 version, since according to liftsupportsdepot.com the sizes are different. Compare:

http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-support...n&year=2000 (extended lenght: 33.56", compressed: 20.06")
http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-support...n&year=1999 (extended lenght: 34.07", compressed: 21.07")

Does anyone know a better place where I might be able to find more affordable replacements?

Thanks so much,
EnigmaticSoul
Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 AM

^^I've been looking for struts for a while too, but refused to go to the dealer, since I knew they'd rip me off. The ebay seller from TibbyTib's link earlier has some for us though, if you go to his store, which list the same dimensions that you found. Here's a couple links:

Current Ebay sale: 2000-2001 Rear hatch struts
Link to 2001 Tib supports at the seller's store

I just bought a set for my car, so if you're unsure, I'll be installing a set pretty soon. Thanks to TibbyTib for the earlier link, I've been needing these for a few months!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM

Vehicle: 99/Hyundai/RD1

I've had this problem too.. the trunk pops, but i can't pull it up without the key. Is this nickel myth fact or fiction, i'll most likely try it but i wanna know if anyones done it and has fixed the problem
Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Try putting a little grease down in where it latches, I had the SAME problem, ain't had the problem since i greased her up. I used white lithium grease.

As far as the struts go, Ebay always have some, whether or not rd1 and rd2 ones are the same is, not a clue here.