Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

So why exactly did the GK's get way more aftermarket support than RD's?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Yellow Tib
Default So why exactly did the GK's get way more aftermarket support than RD's?

Ive never been able to find a clear answer to this question. Is it because the GK's came with a V6, or did Hyundai market these in a much better way compared to RD's?

RD's were out for 5 years, and GK's have been out for 6-7 years. Not too much longer, and they both had almost identical 4 cylinder engines (not too many differences between beta 1 and 2's). So what gives? Was it the body styling that drew aftermarket companies in towards them? How come theres so much love for GK's where companies were chomping at the bit to make stuff for them, but it was like pulling teeth trying to get a company to make stuff for an RD? dunno.gif
Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Wasn't there just a bigger market for the GKs?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

When the RD platform came out, it was strictly a budget car. The Elantra was a cheap family grocery getter and the Tiburon didn't really sell in huge numbers. People who wanted to mod their cars bought other makes. Now there are newer models out and now the old ones are REALLY budget cars. The number of people willing to spend $$$$ on sweet kit for their RDs is not high enough to justify the time input to make a model-specific part. Look at the old group buy threads on RD-specific parts (even the current CF hatch thread) to see what I mean, and that is in a large-ish enthusiast community!

Remember also, in the mid-1990s Hyundai's reputation was based on the Pony and Excel, which were famously unreliable. It wasn't until the XD came out that more people (and car magazines) started noticing the Hyundai cars were MUCH better than they used to be. They spent YEARS with selling cars with their industry-leading 10/100,000 warranty before anyone else had one, before the public realized that a long warranty means they know they won't need to use it.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
That's exactly why.

Over in Korea, there was HUGE aftermarket support for the RD, but the Korean import companies would only sell the stuff they wanted to, instead of everything, thereby stifling the folks here.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

and how many times did we get M_J to start selling us the parts. if he would've just listened to us i am pretty sure he would have a fat pocketbook right about now.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

The RD is the Honda Civic hatchback of South Korea, I would say over 50% of them are modified in some way by their Korean owners. (pulling number totally out of my ass)
Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

haha i like that you just pulled some number out of no where. that's something i'd say

but i very much so agree with that statement
Old 07-22-2010, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UrS0NvS @ Jul 22 2010, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>and how many times did we get M_J to start selling us the parts. if he would've just listened to us i am pretty sure he would have a fat pocketbook right about now.</div>

Yup. I tried to contact him for the past year and a half to pay him for the BBK kit he sent me, but you can't get sh*t out of him.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tibby

Engine wise, pretty much everything thats available for a GK beta is available for an RD beta. They just kick our butts in the styling department...body kits, suspension, interior, etc...
Old 07-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Engine wise not so much. There are enough little differences that a lot of the fun bits don't cross over without some work.