Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Is An Smt-6 Needed?

Old 08-22-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Veilside Turbulence

ok so im still n/a...

this is what ive got:

i/h/e 2.5" piping with nitrous.

this is my problem:

i am DESTROYING my original 35 MPG. im going through gas like a V8. a friend told me i needed a stand alone system to manually control fuel regulation...is this REALLY the only path without going back to stock? i mean i know with the addition of performance add ons your going to lose gas mileage but dadadamn im gettin like 20 MPG or LESS... 02.gif

Do I really need a SMT-6? Those things are kinda expensive and I thought they were for Turbo/Supercharged vehicles....
Old 08-22-2006, 06:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You could try out a SAFC II first, but no, SMT's and others can be used for NA applications.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

You shouldnt be getting bad MPG. Might wanna do a tune up or go to a dyno for the wideband AFR reading.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You need to clarify a few things first

First, your in the wrong forum, this should be in extreme mods since its a problem related to a real power adder (T/C,S/C,NO2), OR Gen performance since im too lazy and faith decided to move it to there haha.

Secondly, An smt-6 isnt a standalone ecu, if it were it would be a pretty cheap one lol. The SMT-6 is what we call a piggyback ecu, something that works with the stock ecu to alter certain aspects of the engines fuel trim and or ignition timing. And compared to standalones, their a bargain at 4-500 bones

Now to the problem, Um what shot are you running?

You should have some sort of method to supply more fuel when u use nitrous, are you telling me your just spraying without adding more gas? whoa, thats how stuff gets blown and thats where nitrous gets its bad name.

id ask if you have bigger injectors, but since you dont have a piggyback to tune down the injectors on idle/off spray, or even know much about piggybacks, ill assume your running stock fuel.

If your spraying, you should be using a wet system or make a custom port for a single injector to spray extra fuel when you spray your nitrous (prefferably right past the TB), otherwise your going to go really really lean when you spray and blowup.gif BOOOOM! blowup.gif

Now, heading right at the problem of bad fuel mileage, this shouldnt happen on a nitroused car with completely stock fuel. The only way i could see your car getting bad gas mileage is if you threw bigger injectors on there and didnt use a piggyback to tune them down.

Give us some more details and we'll figure this out...
Old 08-22-2006, 10:14 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

moving to general performance
Old 08-23-2006, 11:27 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

even if you have a piggyback and wideband to back fuel down, the ecu will still take over and follow it's own fuel trims.

i'm thinking that this bad mpg is caused by something simple like failing o2 sensor, dirty air filter/fuel filter, etc
Old 08-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

unless your spraying ALL the time and running like a 10:1 AFR then theres no way your getting that bad of gas mileage.. lol might have faulty o2 or something tho..

i am boosted, and when boosting quite often i get ~22mpg, and when just driving relatively normal, i still get ~26mpg highway..

check your CELs if you have em or do a tune up..