Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Smaller Alternator Pulley For Higher Output?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Coupe

I am having problems with my electrical system because of the subs and stuff. I was thinking of getting a smaller alternator pulley machined to give me more output. Would this work??
Old 03-13-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I wouldnt think so. Your regulator keeps everything in check. Only thing it would help with is when you are idling, if your alternator isn't spinning quite fast enough, a smaller pulley would ensure that it does. If I were you, I'd look into getting your alternator rebuilt to produce more output, or simply buying a high output alternator. You could always get a Cap or a second battery as well to help out with the electrical demand on the system.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Coupe

Already have a cap, its about as much use as a dead rat. I think im going to just get a bigger crank pulley made so I can run more boost on the supercharger too cool.gif
Old 03-14-2008, 01:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, you might consider getting a better amp. I had a BOSS 3000REV D that pushed some 15's in my trunk. Yep, I said 15's! I had 2! In my Tib! Anyways, when the bass hit, it hit hard, but with a Cap, good grounds and power wires, you could literally feel my engine pulse to the music. That amp put out some major power, but it sucked damn near as much and really tormented my electrical system. When I upgraded my system, I purchased a new amp. Got an elementaldesigns nine.1 mono amp. My lights dont even dim when this thing hits! A good quality, EFFICIENT amp is worth every penny. It may be a new direction you could take, plus give you a good excuse to upgrade audio equipment! I love having excuses like that!