Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Singh Groove Discussion

Old 08-21-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005/Hyundai/Tiburon

Interesting thread on the XD forum, anybody have any firsthand knowledge about this??

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31033
Old 08-21-2008, 07:09 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

One of the newer members here doing a rebuild/p&p was talking baout it a week or so ago.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Me. I'll report on it over there when it gets done. Somebody else there said they were also going to try it.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Looks promising. Ive been following both threads.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

i was checking out the thread on XD yesterday, and reading the volvo thread, and this sounds very promising, and proven for the most part..

doing it myself on the other hand would be a different story.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:07 PM

You'd probably want to have them done by a professional at a machine shop. It's not just something you can do by yourself with an angle grinder.

But reading about it, it sort of makes sense, and but on the other hand. I agree that it can promote better flame distribution in the cylinder, but it looks as if it could cause detonation. I wouldn't try it unless I had a car that had nothing left to lose.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2005/Hyundai/Tiburon

http://somender-singh.com/content/view/7/31/

I spent some time this AM reading the info on Singh's site and reduced detonation is one of the benefits of adding the grooves, along with several other desirable results. It's worth your time to hear what he has to say. He's not trying to sell anything just give anyone that's interested the benefit of his discovery.

I kad an old aluminum lawnmower cylinder head and tried cutting a groove in it by hand. I marked where I wanted the groove centerline, made the initial cut with a hacksaw blade and then opened it into a V with a small triangular file. Took all of 20 minutes max and looks just fine. I have a spare Beta II head and am considering experimenting on it.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Coupe

I am giong to put two singh groves on each cylinder of my beta 1 in the next few weeks.

I have researched and due to the nature of the modifications on my car, two singh groves will be sufficient to reduce detonation and engine knock.

I am an expert in melting pistons as demonstrated in my other posts so lets hope we can get this to work.

I will update on my progress and write a DIY for those interested.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:56 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Coupe

I have put the grooves in and the car is running like a beauty, no knock at all on stock pistons. I will take it to the dyno and get it tuned properly now.

By the way my middle name is Singh too!!

I will post up a DIY in a few days with pics..it was very easy
Old 10-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Is this the same car, with the same fuel & ignition tune, that you just used to detonate a hole in one of your forged low-compression pistons?

If so, that's pretty sweet. That would mean you raised compression what, a point and a half almost, and detonation went away! Did you do anything else to that cylinder head (port/polish, etc.)?

A couple of specific questions:

How is the idle, compared to how it ran before?

What about low-end torque (<1500RPM)?

If you've run it long enough to tell a difference, has your fuel consumption changed?