Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Silencer

Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much performance is lost with a silencer? Also, how are these installed?

What can I do to muffle the sound without taking away performance?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Apexi catback with the Apexi "active" silencer. Basically, when the exhaust pressure goes up, there's a spring that compresses to let more exhaust through. I tried it with and without the silencer and didn't notice any difference except for noise - Apexi's dyno sheet also shows little to no power lost vs. no silencer. http://www.apexi-usa.com/news_article.asp?id=4

The biggest difference in sound I've had is replacing my straight pipe with a high flow cat. With the straight pipe I didn't even want to go fast because I hated how it sounded - with the high flow cat I can hardly hear my exhaust over my intake, the exhaust almost sounds like stock now. The negligable loss in performance (no difference on the butt dyno) was well worth the difference in sound.

My current setup is SSA headers -> high flow cat -> Apexi catback -> active silencer. Sorry, no sound clips 02.gif