Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Is this short shifter worth buying?

Old 10-30-2004, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who has a MSD installed in a tibu 2000?

I ordered it last Wednesday. Really looking foward to it, considering the crappy hack job of a shifter I am using right now. The price was within a few dollars of B&M or OBX from sites in the US too, so RSide was an easy choice compared to other high end shifters.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>You obviously haven't ordered from Kspec.com eh?

Order it.

You'll have it in a week.</div>

I used to order parts from Germany quite a bit, sometimes customs would hold my packages for weeks at a time, so that was my concern, not kspec. They certainly have a good reputation.

I'll post an update and photos when I get it installed.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Happy Halloween bitches!!!

Great man, you'll love it.

Just make sure you look at the DIY here for the install so ya don't mess anything up, it can be a bit complicated with the small parts, and I've also done a DIY on there on how to make it a bit shorter.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Re: What is the best way to start with an automatic......??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>Great man, you'll love it.

Just make sure you look at the DIY here for the install so ya don't mess anything up, it can be a bit complicated with the small parts, and I've also done a DIY on there on how to make it a bit shorter.</div>

I've gone over both of those several times, great info. I'm going to shorten it as you did.

My Tib is in the shop now getting a new exhaust, and the mechanic (who used to own a Tib) said the shifter I have on now is actually a shark racing short shifter, and the reason for the crappiness is the terrible install. It doesn't look like any better quality than OEM. I don't see a SS listed on shark racing, so I can't verify that info, but that explains why the shifter baseplate is dremelled up to make everything fit. And it's so difficult to get into 1st and 2nd because they didn't dremel enough...I'm actually relieved, I was concerned I might have a clutch problem, even though the clutch is supposed to be brand new.

This is the last time I buy a used car on ebay, unless it is extremely low miles or a certified used vehicle.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:08 PM

Default Re: rd1-->rd2 FRONT END conversion

The Shark Racing short shifter, as it's mis known as, is actually the Rside Basic. They renamed it to try to have it sound like they made their own products.

Yes, it sucks ass.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Re: what are the dyno's readings on stock RDs

That was fast. Parts I ordered last week from nearby states haven't even arrived yet.

This thing is hot. 8)

Now I just need my car back so I can install it...
Old 11-14-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Re: FS: My Car! 1998 Tiburon SE - 6800 US or 8500 CAD

Of course. I knew the install was too easy, something would have to go wrong later. And something did.

Want an easy way to hold up traffic until you can push your car out of the road? Try this:

You can see that the bottom of the shifter popped right out of the bushing and control arm. It happened when I was trying to shift into 5th. Nothing wrong with the shifter, but there's definitely something wrong somewhere else. The "arm" that the lower bushing slips into is very loose. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not. There is also a problem with the control cable attached to that arm. When I move the shifter to the left from neutral the cable goes into the housing like normal, but doesn't come back out to the proper position when I let go of the shifter and it goes back to neutral. Moving the shifter right towards 5th/reverse does not have that problem, and it will "reset" the cable to the proper position from 1st/2nd as well when I push it far right. But I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.

Anyway, I'm frustrated. I guess the crappy shifting I had was not due to the RSide basic unit.

Also, 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse all look like the shifter is in neutral. Very annoying. Only 3rd and 4th actually look like 3rd and 4th position.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: My baby(not literally)

WOW.

I'd get a new bottom shift plate.

You DID install the white bushings from the OEM shifter right?

Do you know for sure what happened?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:00 PM

Default before pic ( updated with some new mods)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>WOW.

I'd get a new bottom shift plate.

You DID install the white bushings from the OEM shifter right?

Do you know for sure what happened?</div>

Yeah, when I said the previous install was a hack job, I meant that literally. They didn't even remove the shifter baseplate, just took a dremel to it. I'm looking for a replacement, none of the online junkyards have gotten back to me, and no one responded to my WTB post on a few forums. I'm going to post a WTB here once I get my list updated.

Bushings were installed properly. I'm 99% sure it happened because the control arm is loose. It's especially loose right under where the spring assembly in the photo is.

I don't know how to adjust the tension on the cables in there, so I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow to let them try.

I also discovered when attempting to install my header today that the 2nd cat has been removed from this car. This is the last time I ever buy a car that's not 100% bone stock. I can fcuk it up on my own without someone doing it for me. lol.gif

I think I'm going to replace the crush bent exhaust when I have a cat put in, since this is a very large diameter. I'll probably get some 2.25" prebent sections online and let my shop cobble them together for me. And either a cherry bomb inline muffler or a thrush glasspack for noise insurance.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Re: my video *56K warning*

I wouldn't recommend buying a Short Shifter if you have an automatic. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:08 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650
Default Re: my video *56K warning*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majiktib)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wouldn't recommend buying a Short Shifter if you have an automatic. Just my 2 cents.</div>
WTF :?: :?: :?:
He doesn't have an auto :?