Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Short Shifter Showdown

Old 04-18-2006, 11:41 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Apr 17 2006, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I've heard you can adjust the cables some to aleviate this problem, but what's the point if there's a better shifter?</div>

The point is, if you have not adjusted the cables and you're blaming the shifter manufacturer for that, then you're wrong.

That's plain and simple operator error. You can adjust the cables within 1" from the shifter with 2 wrenches. There is no reason not to adjust the cables. They don't put adjustments like that in easy to reach places with just 2 bolts because they're meant to be stationary. Shorter = shifter will be closer to you and longer = shifter will be farther away from you. Please do a good review on that shifter after adjusting the cables.

Also, i've been meaning to do a DIY to take slop out of stock shifter. you just need a bushing. Regardless, you've sparked my interest in these enough that i must at least test drive one on my vehical. Please suggest a ebay clone for models which have them currently available. I think everyone knows that ebay does not have superior quality, but offers better prices.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Here are the pictures I promised. Redz I appologize if this is cluttering up your thread or if you just don't want it here you can move it to where it's acceptable.

From the pictures you can see a little section I started to cut out following the DIY, than on further inspection I found that it wasn't necc. if it was adjusted correctly. It's hard from the pictures to see that it doesn't need to be cut but I had no other angles unless I wanted to remove the center console. Also comparing the the picture from the 1st thread to the one on the 2nd, both are the same except I cut and threaded the shaft. It was advertised as a RSB and came in the same package the guy recieved it in from Kspec.

2nd Gear

1st

Neutral

Here are just some pics installed. Sorry for the mess.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tiburonmoo @ Apr 18 2006, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Regardless of the results of this I'll stick with my B&M until I can actually feel the difference with a RSA. I like my B&M. If the difference is big enough I'll troll around until one gets sold again.</div>

Bro, try mine next time I'm there. It's a huge difference. I know it too, I had both. Also, having gone from driving my tib to the wife's with a B&M, right from one car to another, it's horrible.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mwood @ Apr 18 2006, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I have an Megan Racing and i love it but I will be going to change to RSA.</div>

Uhm, Why? Also, do you even have a tib? Fill out your profile.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kb5133 @ Apr 18 2006, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nice job Redz. It's about time you get off yer ass and do something useful joke.gif</div>

Blow me what?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead @ Apr 18 2006, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Bleh, I'll stick with the stocker. Never missed a gear, probably and hopefully never will. Crispness leaves a little to be desired, but that'll probably go away with transmission fluid.</div>

Again, you have no clue. You can still shift "slow" with a short shifter. I'd never go OEM again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 18 2006, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The point is, if you have not adjusted the cables and you're blaming the shifter manufacturer for that, then you're wrong.

That's plain and simple operator error.</div>

And that's the dumbest thing I've heard yet. You shouldn't have to "Adjust" anything on your car for a aftermarket part that should just be plug and play. You don't have to with any of the other shifters, but you do with the RSide Advanced. It's all in the design, and what do you know, that's the MFR's fault. EVERYONE with a RSA in a RD2 with a RD2 shifter surround has this problem, not to mention hitting the cupholder when it's extended.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Shorter = shifter will be closer to you and longer = shifter will be farther away from you. Please do a good review on that shifter after adjusting the cables.</div>

It's been reviewed allready, and no, I'm not adjusting any cables, as the RSA is going into the wife's car, the B&M is being sold, and the winner between the Megan and ARK is going into my car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Please suggest a ebay clone for models which have them currently available. I think everyone knows that ebay does not have superior quality, but offers better prices.</div>

Great idea! Let's stop supporting the legitmate suppliers for our cars!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tanc @ Apr 18 2006, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Here are the pictures I promised. Redz I appologize if this is cluttering up your thread or if you just don't want it here you can move it to where it's acceptable.</div>

No no no, this is fine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>From the pictures you can see a little section I started to cut out following the DIY, than on further inspection I found that it wasn't necc. if it was adjusted correctly. It's hard from the pictures to see that it doesn't need to be cut but I had no other angles unless I wanted to remove the center console. Also comparing the the picture from the 1st thread to the one on the 2nd, both are the same except I cut and threaded the shaft. It was advertised as a RSB and came in the same package the guy recieved it in from Kspec.</div>

I dunno mang, that looks like the stock shifter just modified to me. Maybe it's been too long, but that's what I'm feeling there. It COULD be the RSB. Were you ever in a big accident?
Old 04-18-2006, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

[quote name='REDZMAN' date='Apr 17 2006, 04:15 AM' post='213021']

Trimming it down makes it shorter, but increases the amount of pressure needed to shift.

Well, a trimmed down B&M is a peice of cake to shift as long as you are not a woman, lol. joke.gif

No, really, is the rside advanced SS that much better? I have seen it, but never thought into it because I was satisfied with mine. It would be nice to have a smoother shifter for those long drives. I will have to look into this one. I suppose I will just wait for the champ to be decided and research it to see if I want to spend the extra dough.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:29 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Apr 18 2006, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's been reviewed allready, and no, I'm not adjusting any cables, as the RSA is going into the wife's car, the B&M is being sold, and the winner between the Megan and ARK is going into my car.</div>

ok..... You are not going to adjust the shifter. Did it say plug and play in the manufacturer's literature? Did you contact the manufacturer? It's a one time deal, it's not like you have to funk with it all the time.

You say this is going to be unbiased, but you'll never know for sure which one feels the best after fully installed. I think i know who will win already.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon/2000 tiburon

yep thats the same oen i installed in my x's car and without trimming the baseplate which I never did it grinds gears going into 2nd sometimes...I actually bought it off of a company in ohio that was going out of buisnuss.... it was a rside clone that sharkracing sells... tc customs or something like that is where we got it from...
Old 04-18-2006, 05:37 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>No, really, is the rside advanced SS that much better? I have seen it, but never thought into it because I was satisfied with mine. It would be nice to have a smoother shifter for those long drives. I will have to look into this one. I suppose I will just wait for the champ to be decided and research it to see if I want to spend the extra dough.</div>

Yeah, it is. Dude, only reason I bought one is David had it in his car in Korea and I got to see how smooth it was.

Definately wait until the winner is crowned, I don't think it's going to be the Rside.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>ok..... You are not going to adjust the shifter. Did it say plug and play in the manufacturer's literature? Did you contact the manufacturer? It's a one time deal, it's not like you have to funk with it all the time.</div>

Huh? Korean manufacturer's do literature? Uhm, nope.

It's listed for a 1996-2001 Tiburon, nothing is said about having to adjust anything. It's just a crappy followthru on the design and should have been tested.

Also, how do I contact a manufacturer that has gone out of business? Not just that, but you honestly think they'd do anything for us? Considering they are the original company that said "There is no Tiburon market in the US", then no. I'm doing a straight up install and test on all of them, everything will sit stock.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You say this is going to be unbiased, but you'll never know for sure which one feels the best after fully installed. I think i know who will win already.</div>

It is unbiased. If I wanted to bias it, I'd just crown the RSA right now, as that one brings ME money, none of the others do. I personally bought the Megan, and the ARK is to either be bought or sent back after testing. No MFR bias there. If SR/TSR/EF sent me one I'd test it too, after I found out who actually made it. LOL

Of course I wouldn't know which one feels the best until it's installed, where did I say I would? I have tried out all of the shift knobs, and by far prefer the ARK one right now, and I usually hate that type of knob (B&M is similar). I don't know how YOU know that I know who has won allready, since I haven't driven with 2 of them yet, how the hell would I? If you are gonna accuse me of something mister, get it out allready, otherwise, shut the hell up.

I'd ALSO like to remind everyone here that I spoke out against ARK when they started supporting us, because of the shady way they came into play and such. With Mussa giving up on us, I support ARK now. The owner of ARK was VERY hesitant to send me a shifter because of this, but Kikassboy talked him into it as a personal favor.

Damn, conspiracy theory's and shit, this is GOOD that this is getting done. I'd like to do the CAI shootout too, that was promised for so many years.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I don't think I've installed one part yet that didn't require modification..

AEM CAI had to move the evap
Headers/Exhaust needed diff flanges
Airram needed a new throttle/cruise bracket and a bracket made for the cruise vacuum pump
BBTB (still) needs a hole drilled for the cruise
Racing seats need brackets
I'm sure I could think of more...

Anyway, I think DTN is right. The two nuts are there for a reason, in case it needed to be modified. It didn't seem to bother anyone having to adjust the cruise/throttle cables for a BBTB install? And that's the same principal.....BIGGER throttle body requires throttle adjustment, just as SHORTER shifter requires shifter cable adjustment. But then again, if all the other manufacturers made it work without adjusting the cables, why couldn't RSide?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:26 PM

Well, the AEM wasn't designed for your car with the Evap, and that has nothing to do with this thread.

Headers and exhaust are different because they are made for Korean Tibs, not for the US ones, same with the Airram and BBTB, they are made for the KDM, not us.

That's been plain for years.

Okay, no more talk about this. It has nothing, at ALL to do with the topic.

matter of fact, since ya'll won't listen, I'll just close the b****.