Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Short Shifter Showdown

Old 04-17-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Wow, lots of talk here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fonseca @ Apr 16 2006, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Tanc, if you dind't have to modify the baseplate, you don't have an RSB. There's no way.</div>

Word. You may have a modified RSB, but what you PROBABLY have is a modified stock shifter. I've seen a few of them. the RSide Basic HAS to have the baseplate cut out, or you will not be able to shift.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Airborne @ Apr 17 2006, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Something else you might want to consider is customer support from each of the companies. I had an issue with my B&M shifter and they sent me a brand new one. Great warrantee and support. fing02.gif</div>

Not a bad idea at all mang, but really, how would I? I'd have to have a problem and contact them about it.

LOL

In the case of the RSide, it's not possible. For the Megan, MAYBE, ARK I could contact, and B&M. But how would it be tested?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 17 2006, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I know you know what you're doing, but is it an issue of being too short, or did you adjust the shifter adjustment screws?</div>

It's not that it's too short, the RSide Advanced, with the way it's built to adjust, the shaft hits the surround, not really bad, but enough, in 1st gear.

I've heard you can adjust the cables some to aleviate this problem, but what's the point if there's a better shifter?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Also, I've never used a short shifter. I'm wondering what's the point of a short shifter. Really, a shifter is just a lever. If you shorten the top, you get the same effect as lengthening the bottom, including making it more difficult to shift.</div>

Then you are missing out. The points of a short shifter are many.

1. Shorten the throw of a shift, so you can shift quicker.
2. Take out the slop in the OEM shifter, enabling quicker and CLEANER shifting.
3. To lower the height of the shift knob, in order to look less like a 18 wheeler.

Keep in mind, "Short Shifter" isn't referring to the HEIGHT of the shifter, it's a "SHORT THROW SHIFTER", that everyone has dropped the word "THROW" from. It has nothing to do with the HEIGHT of the shifter, and every one of them I've had myhands on is much easier to shift than the OEM.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I'm interested in short shifters, but I don't see the benefeit over a short shifter vs. chopped stock.</div>

Listed above. Again, if you don't drive a car with OEM then one of these installed, you have no clue what you are missing. Hobgoblin was the same way. he tried out the RSide Advanced in my car one day and went and bought one a few hours later.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>As it is right now, my modified stock shifter allows me to shift without moving my elbow off of the center console lid and also not hit my oversized coffee cup when trying to shift. It's quite an improvement over the stocker.</div>

That's great, but it's not a short shifter. You've not improved performance or precision at all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad_john @ Apr 17 2006, 05:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>i will be checking this daily i want one but i have herd bad thing about them "over here" knowing my luck i will put it in the wrong gear and boom owned.gif</div>

LOL Dude, you would have done this with a OEM one first. The aftermarket ones are WAY smoother.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Apr 17 2006, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I also think that shortening the "throw" is a bad idea. There are enough people mangling the gears in their tibs with the stock shifter.. making their shifts "faster" is just going to speed up the process.</div>

They need to learn how to drive then. The same folks you talk about Mad are the same ones replacing clutches every few months and trannies once a year.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:35 AM

can't wait to see teh final rulings

we at ark trust him enough to believe that the shifter comparison will be good

btw, yes you can get in contact with me whenever. anything you say to me, i just forward over to the main office. plus our phone line is manned until 5 PM west coast time.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:24 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

So..is it Shootout or Showdown? lmao.gif

I dunno, I like my B&M..but the ARK and RSA look nice too. If you find one that eliminates slop without having to do any mods I may buy it, B&M is sorta sloppy..not hard to get used to though.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Showdown.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:51 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Regardless of the results of this I'll stick with my B&M until I can actually feel the difference with a RSA. I like my B&M. If the difference is big enough I'll troll around until one gets sold again.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:02 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

I have an Megan Racing and i love it but I will be going to change to RSA.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:05 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Apr 18 2006, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Showdown.</div>
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Hoe down

i had to say that lmao.gif
Old 04-18-2006, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tiburonmoo @ Apr 18 2006, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Regardless of the results of this I'll stick with my B&M until I can actually feel the difference with a RSA. I like my B&M. If the difference is big enough I'll troll around until one gets sold again.</div>

you saying you cant feel the difference between the rsa and stock?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry bro, but I've probably been in more tibs</div>
Yes but that was in the back seat, so it don't count smile.gif

I'm surprised at how many people don't understand what the purpose of a "short" shifter is. I get people all the time telling me that they're going to chop an inch of their shifter so they can have a "short" shifter. Um...can you say ricers!

The stock shifter is sloppy as hell and is the main reason for missed shifts. At least in my case.
I can't wait for the champ to be crowned so I can change out mine. Nice to have other folks test stuff out so I don't have to waste my time and cash being a guinee pig fing02.gif Nice job Redz. It's about time you get off yer ass and do something useful joke.gif
Old 04-18-2006, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Bleh, I'll stick with the stocker. Never missed a gear, probably and hopefully never will. Crispness leaves a little to be desired, but that'll probably go away with transmission fluid. Really no point to speeding up shifts, I already get the car in gear just before the revs fall down to where they'll be in the next gear, no point in getting it there any faster and wearing down the transmission.