Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Short Shifter Showdown

Old 04-16-2006, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I have the RSB and I did not need to trim cut anything fing02.gif

Everything works nothing hits and it's really smooth. Don't believe me? I wouldn't mind taking pictures for you guys.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 PM

go RSA!!!!

what does the RSB look like, i dont ever remember seeing it on Kspec
Old 04-16-2006, 10:50 PM

Tanc, if you dind't have to modify the baseplate, you don't have an RSB. There's no way.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I'm about 98% sure it's an RSB. When I bought it a couple years ago, it was advertised as the RSB.

It looks exactly like the RSB . Here's a pic from a DIY of the SharkRacing aka RSB. The guy I bought it from, bought it from Kspec. If it's not the RSB, well I got played like a fiddle than. Redz I appologize if this is not the direction you were looking to take this thread into.

http://www.geocities.com/acurtas/SS_install.html?200617
Old 04-17-2006, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tibster

Something else you might want to consider is customer support from each of the companies. I had an issue with my B&M shifter and they sent me a brand new one. Great warrantee and support. fing02.gif
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Apr 16 2006, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The RSide is perfect for a RD1, but for a RD2, you need something that won't hit the surround.</div>

I know you know what you're doing, but is it an issue of being too short, or did you adjust the shifter adjustment screws?

Also, I've never used a short shifter. I'm wondering what's the point of a short shifter. Really, a shifter is just a lever. If you shorten the top, you get the same effect as lengthening the bottom, including making it more difficult to shift.

3 points, pressure, pivot and load. if you move the pivot closer to the load it's easier, if you move the pivot closer to the pressure, it's tougher to move. If you decrease the length of the lever it's tougher.

I'm interested in short shifters, but I don't see the benefeit over a short shifter vs. chopped stock.

As it is right now, my modified stock shifter allows me to shift without moving my elbow off of the center console lid and also not hit my oversized coffee cup when trying to shift. It's quite an improvement over the stocker.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:49 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

oh no you will test drive them

i will be checking this daily i want one but i have herd bad thing about them "over here" knowing my luck i will put it in the wrong gear and boom owned.gif
Old 04-17-2006, 05:57 AM

see, I too am in the "anti" short shifter crowd. I personally feel that the shifter in the tib is a little TOO short and not close enough to the steering wheel. If you look at a true race car, their shifter are never more than a couple of inches from the wheel. This allows them to change gears and quickly get their hands back on the wheel.

I also think that shortening the "throw" is a bad idea. There are enough people mangling the gears in their tibs with the stock shifter.. making their shifts "faster" is just going to speed up the process.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:22 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

well said machine.... clapping.gif ... to me its just to close together "side by side" together but let se what red comes up with...
Old 04-17-2006, 07:36 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 17 2006, 06:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If you shorten the top, you get the same effect as lengthening the bottom, including making it more difficult to shift.</div>

You want to think about THAT again!
Just think back to your math classes