Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Short Shifter Showdown

Old 04-16-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Guys, this is gonna be great. Ever since I got involved and in the position I am, I've wanted to do some comparisons of parts.

Here's gonna be the first one.

Short Shifters.

Since RSide is out of business and the Advanced shifter from them has been considered one of the best, it's time to crown a true champion. The RSide Advanced wasn't without it's issues, and those will be part of this showdown.

What shifters are being tested?

1. B&M
2. Megan Racing
3. ARK Racing
4. RSide Advanced
5. Stock

I will test the following.

1. Packaging
2. Quality
3. Appearance
4. Knob Appearance and Feel
5. Throw distance
6. Operational Testing (I'll drive with each for 3 days)

I should be finished with this in about 2 weeks. 2 of the shifters will be kept here and put in the 2 RD's we own, the other 2 will be sold off. The stock one, well, it'll get bronzed and mounted and sent to the winning MFR. LOL Maybe.

Just thought you folks would wanna know. If you want more showdowns like this, let me know. I'd be glad to see what I can get done.

If you know of any other shifters we should test for this (Don't even consider the RSide Basic, I'm not hacking up my baseplate), post here and maybe contact the MFR of the product and see if they want to include one for testing. The shifter can be sent back after the showdown is over or shipped directly to a buyer from me if wanted. No bias, no matter the MFR, will be shown. Pics will be taken, and allready have been.

A few "Preview" notes.

1. The Megan has a roller bearing in the first pivot under the knob.
2. The ARK comes VERY nicely packaged, with probably the best knob that comes included so far.
3. These aren't copies of eachother. I've taken some detailed measurements and there are some differences.
4. None are, as of yet, perfect. Each has minor issues or faults compared to the others.

This is gonna be fun.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:17 PM

go MEGAN!! because that is what I got!!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:18 PM

And it IS a nice shifter, but so far, is not the SHORTEST.

LOL

And I have a few problems with them so far, like the knob isn't fully threaded, so you end up with a upside down shifter pattern, or completely off center.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:54 PM

Add the RSB. joke.gif

The RSB does shift fast, definitely shorter throw than the RSA. And no slop in the shifter itself since it used the OEM bracket. But modifying the baseplate was a pain, it came with no knob, and was really fugly, and way overpriced for what you got.

This shootout is a great idea. Are you interested in adding an ebay special to compare with all the high end examples?

Edit: wow, there's a ton of shifters on ebay being sold for 97-01 which definitely don't fit. I feel sorry for the buyers.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

redz, use a lockwasher and you cvan get the writing to line up correctly without having the shifter knob loose.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

I have the B&M that I trimmed down about 2 inches. I LOVE it. No competition here, knob look and feel is unmatched.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:15 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fonseca @ Apr 16 2006, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This shootout is a great idea. Are you interested in adding an ebay special to compare with all the high end examples?

Edit: wow, there's a ton of shifters on ebay being sold for 97-01 which definitely don't fit. I feel sorry for the buyers.</div>

I wouldn't mind, but the one in your link there is the Megan one. Identical in every way.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibby01 @ Apr 16 2006, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>redz, use a lockwasher and you cvan get the writing to line up correctly without having the shifter knob loose.</div>

... Huh? Show me how baby.

I found a screw that was the right length and put it inside the handle, it's lined up now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tdonnell @ Apr 16 2006, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I have the B&M that I trimmed down about 2 inches. I LOVE it. No competition here, knob look and feel is unmatched.</div>

The B&M is the worst short shifter I've ever seen for us. Yes, I had one for well over 2 years, and it sucks. Like driving a truck. I've got one in the wife's RD and will still review it, but it's clunky, way too tall, and the knob sucks with the flat top like that.

Trimming it down makes it shorter, but increases the amount of pressure needed to shift.

So yes, it's matched, and surpassed, so far by EVERY one of the other shifters listed.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

i think we need a judge that isnt.. how do i say it... thick headed... ya thats it j/k. redz if your gonna do this you cant be biased or loyal to the r side wich i know you love. be fair bro

go b&m lmao.gif
Old 04-16-2006, 10:27 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Apr 16 2006, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No bias, no matter the MFR, will be shown. Pics will be taken, and allready have been.</div>

Sorry bro, but I've probably been in more tibs and had more short shifters than anyone else here.

I've played with the OBX, it's a joke.

The B&M is nicer than stock, but that's it.

As I said, I had it, and had it installed for years, and it was a breath of fresh air when I got the Rside Advanced.

The RSide is perfect for a RD1, but for a RD2, you need something that won't hit the surround.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

this is what i did for my RSA:

-threadlocked the knob on the shaft

-found a lockwasher that fits around the threaded shaft

-screw shaft into shifter with lockwasher inbetween. makes it so that there is about 360 degrees of turning the knob/shaft where it will still be really tight, so you can line up the knob however you want it.