Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Sharing thoughts regarding exhaust.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

There is actually a chart that I have been trying to recreate that shows you can run up to 500hp with 2.5" exhaust. According to the chart you don't need dual exhaust until about 650hp!!

Corky Bell is the man.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:34 AM

Bigger exhaust is most helpful on FI engines because it helps with backperssure, which causes heat which is bad. You would never want to run high psi on a stock exhaust you would experience major powerloss plus the heat it would create could damage your turbo/engine. Putting a huge exhaust system on your NA car would just be pointless you dont gain much with exhaust if all you have is a cai or what ever it would just change the sound.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (silvertibbs)</div><div class='quotemain'>There is actually a chart that I have been trying to recreate that shows you can run up to 500hp with 2.5" exhaust.</div>

Here it is
Old 01-16-2005, 09:51 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Its a fine line with turbo systems. Backpressure is bad for the turbo, but it needs a slight amount of backpressure for the wastegate to work, especially integral ones. Thats why you don't see turbocharged cars running around without an exhaust, you get boost spikes and such. 02.gif

Corkey Bell is on crack with that chart. I swapped from 2.5inch mandrel to 3inch mandrel @ 350whp on my GSX (427 to the crank). I saw a gain of 9whp... granted it was a slightly colder day so the conditions probably made it a 5whp or so gain, but still a gain.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:57 AM

Corkey Bell is on crack with that chart. I swapped from 2.5inch mandrel to 3inch mandrel @ 350whp on my GSX (427 to the crank). I saw a gain of 9whp... granted it was a slightly colder day so the conditions probably made it a 5whp or so gain, but still a gain.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hamhead, that's an official warning. Cut out the double posting.

Java! Where is my AWS???
Old 01-16-2005, 11:04 AM

Hes not really saying that you wont get any gains from going with 3in if your only pushing around 300bhp its just a guide. Hes more saying that to be you should be running those diameters with a given bhp.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:19 PM

someone said it would be almost pointless to put on a 2.5 exhaust on a N/A engine alone and it would preaty much just change the sound. i have two questions. 1. would there be a noticable difference in whp and 2. what does the tiburon sound like with an exhaust one it. i dont want a loud fart pipe, but putting the sinencer in the exhaust pipe kinda defeats the purpose of getting it. im looking at getting SS 4-2-1 header and catback and wanted to mack sure i wount be wasting my money.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:40 PM

No... you will get gains from 2.5inch. I lost no low end with 2.5inch exhaust. The size of the piping has very little to do with the overall sound. The muffler is where 70% of the tone of what you get comes from. You get a good muffler and it should sound great.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:37 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kiltman)</div><div class='quotemain'>someone said it would be almost pointless to put on a 2.5 exhaust on a N/A engine alone and it would preaty much just change the sound. i have two questions. 1. would there be a noticable difference in whp and 2. what does the tiburon sound like with an exhaust one it. i dont want a loud fart pipe, but putting the sinencer in the exhaust pipe kinda defeats the purpose of getting it. im looking at getting SS 4-2-1 header and catback and wanted to mack sure i wount be wasting my money.</div>

No, you won't be waisting your money at all. I currently have a SSA 4-2-1 (but not for long) and a KRD exhaust and it sounds great! Nice low sound...not at all farty..
Old 02-06-2005, 08:59 AM

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">KRD. That’s the expensive one isn’t it? What does the one in the SSA headers back sound like? Or is it the same one and I just mist it? I don’t want to have to put the silencer on because it sounds like s**t. I still want the power. The silencer looks like it takes it down to about a 1½" diameter, house power robber. If someone could record what it sounds like that would be awesome.

</span>