Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Service Checking

Old 01-29-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Turbo

I just did the 60k kilometer service, in wich they changed the timing belt, ac belt, amongst other things.
Now when they gave it back to me, the incompetent people at the dealership didn't really check for everything, when I took out the car (it was right at closing time) the car was all weird and with no power, next day I go and turns out they didn't check it after they washed it and for some reason (wich sounded like BS to me) they said that the problem could be a little water had gotten into the spark plugs or one of the cables wasn't connected properly (when they gave the car back didn't really clarify what was it). in 5 minutes they gave me the car back, now next night I'm out partying and when I get back to my car I turn it on and then I turn the AC on and there's a screaching belt sound! I'm like mad.gif WTF after a while it shut itself up and next day nothing, also I've been noticing that when I accelerate and then let the revs go down, before they go undder the 1k line the engine does a little shake, instead of going down gradually and then they go to idle (if i'm not mistaken 900 rpm), and my uncle when he got in the car told me that he felt that the car wasn't pulling as it used to.

So I want to go back to the dealers, but this time armed with info instead of asumtions (sp?) , you see when I first got the car back I suspected that maybe it was a cable or spark plug problem, but because I had just received it and being such a simple thing I didn't touch anything (so if it wasn't that I didn't break the guarantee), and started thinking they didn't put the timing belt right. So when I came back to the dealers I was telling them that I thought it was a timing problem, wich the mechanic seemed to take like (this man doesn't know what he's saying, i'm the mechanic here and you don't know S#$t), turned out to be the cables or spark plug after all and this time I want no weird looks on anybody's face.

Any help? I know its kinda vague what I'm saying so please ask questions so I can clarify everything and be prepared when I come back to the dealers...

EDIT: I also whant to know how to check if the car has changed in its grunt cause aside of my uncle's opinion I felt the car ok...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

one of the reason - they could installed timing belt wrong (intake and/or exhaust cam can be on a different angle)

do you have misfires?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

just the fact that u feel it doesnt run rite is enough. take it back and tell them there is something wrong and to fix it. if they tell u some bullchit story again tell um i wanna speak to the supervisor or head guy then tell him if they don't do anything. they should fix it after that. sometimes you just gotta put your foot down and not let um walk all over ya.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:46 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

^^^^That is exactly what I would do. And if they wanna give you more B/S then demand a refund for the work they 'supposedly' performed. My guess is that when the retard mechanic did the timing belt he didn't make sure there wasn't any pressure on one of the cam lobes from the valve springs, and after he removed the original belt, the pressure from the springs pushed the cam one way or another. He is probably too lazy to get off his ass and check for the correct cam timing using the factory marks. Although it could be a spark prob. Does the engines tone sound any different?

Checking to see if they did the spark plugs and wires is easy enough, just pop the hood, remove the spark plug cover from the valve cover with a 10mm socket, and pull the wires off of the plugs. Now shine a flash light down the spark plug holes and see if the spark plugs look new. Then push the wires back over the plugs and check to make sure the wires are properly inserted into the coil packs. It will be easy to tell if the wires are new, just by looking at them as well.

Of course, you shouldn't HAVE to do that, but if you want to you can.

Sounds to me like you should start taking your car to another shop or dealer to get it serviced because the place you are going to now obviously don't give a sh!t. Good luck man. wink1.gif
Old 01-31-2006, 12:56 AM

thanx guys, well I just went on a little trip on bussiness and gave me time to check the car a little bit more, and yes it feels weird not smooth, but its really weak no missfires or anything (only before I sent them when the car was REALLY bad) it took just 5 mins til they gave them back to me and it was better but after 3 days I'm feeling that the car isn't pulling as smoothly as it should... and one of the f***ing belts just screached today when I first turned on the car! MFers... I'm going to go today or tomorrow..
Old 01-31-2006, 12:56 AM

thanx guys, well I just went on a little trip on bussiness and gave me time to check the car a little bit more, and yes it feels weird not smooth, but its really weak no missfires or anything (only before I sent them when the car was REALLY bad) it took just 5 mins til they gave them back to me and it was better but after 3 days I'm feeling that the car isn't pulling as smoothly as it should... and one of the f***ing belts just screached today when I first turned on the car! MFers... I'm going to go today or tomorrow..
Old 01-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

When do the belts screach? Only when you start the car? When turning the steering wheel sharply?

My belts screeched after I had the 60k mile service. Only in cold weather on a cold start, or a cold start with rain... visually check your belts, see if they look new.

My A/C and Power Steering belts WERE NOT changed in the 60k service. However, they were removed so they could replace the timing belt. When they were put back on, they were most likely put back on sitting on different teeth. The wear of the belts was used to resting on certain teeth, and now it was changed around, so it caused squeeling since it was wearing in a different way. (make sense?)

I took it back a few days later, Service Dept. Manager came out and looked at it, said it was fine, and I drove off. about 20,000 miles later I went back in to have work done. I talked with the Service Dept. Supervisor and he looked at the belt. He said it needed to be changed badly... I told him what the Manager had said, and he apologized and said he should have noticed the problem since it wasn't something recent. The Supervisor (in his nice suit) came out to the parking lot and changed it himself. He didn't charge me for parts or labor.

Some dealerships are obviously better than others. This dealership I'm referring to is about 40 minutes away from my house. I bypass 2 other dealerships that are closer just to go to this one. I trust them. Even though the manager was a bit of a prick, and didn't care about me, the supervisor and other workers have always treated me awesome.

Go back to the dealership and speak with someone else. Tell them to check the belts. Tell them you did research, and you're worried about the position of the cams, and ask them to check them. Tell them what's wrong with the car... don't say, "It just doesn't feel right" but give them more info.
Give them stuff like:
"The engine shutters and shakes a little bit when the RPM's are dropping around 1000"
"I don't have as much acceleration as I used to... it feels real sluggish since you worked on it"

mention any scenarios when the problems seem to occur more frequently (interstate driving, stop & go traffic, cold starts, etc.). By the way, factory IDLE is at 800 RPM's. Check the RPM's at idle. If it's a cold start, wait a minute if they seem high and give them time to drop. I would also check your air filter
Old 01-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

When do the belts screach? Only when you start the car? When turning the steering wheel sharply?

My belts screeched after I had the 60k mile service. Only in cold weather on a cold start, or a cold start with rain... visually check your belts, see if they look new.

My A/C and Power Steering belts WERE NOT changed in the 60k service. However, they were removed so they could replace the timing belt. When they were put back on, they were most likely put back on sitting on different teeth. The wear of the belts was used to resting on certain teeth, and now it was changed around, so it caused squeeling since it was wearing in a different way. (make sense?)

I took it back a few days later, Service Dept. Manager came out and looked at it, said it was fine, and I drove off. about 20,000 miles later I went back in to have work done. I talked with the Service Dept. Supervisor and he looked at the belt. He said it needed to be changed badly... I told him what the Manager had said, and he apologized and said he should have noticed the problem since it wasn't something recent. The Supervisor (in his nice suit) came out to the parking lot and changed it himself. He didn't charge me for parts or labor.

Some dealerships are obviously better than others. This dealership I'm referring to is about 40 minutes away from my house. I bypass 2 other dealerships that are closer just to go to this one. I trust them. Even though the manager was a bit of a prick, and didn't care about me, the supervisor and other workers have always treated me awesome.

Go back to the dealership and speak with someone else. Tell them to check the belts. Tell them you did research, and you're worried about the position of the cams, and ask them to check them. Tell them what's wrong with the car... don't say, "It just doesn't feel right" but give them more info.
Give them stuff like:
"The engine shutters and shakes a little bit when the RPM's are dropping around 1000"
"I don't have as much acceleration as I used to... it feels real sluggish since you worked on it"

mention any scenarios when the problems seem to occur more frequently (interstate driving, stop & go traffic, cold starts, etc.). By the way, factory IDLE is at 800 RPM's. Check the RPM's at idle. If it's a cold start, wait a minute if they seem high and give them time to drop. I would also check your air filter
Old 01-31-2006, 06:27 PM

thanx, the screaching noise it did it when I turned the car at night and I first turned the car on 2 days later... thats it and I think they didn't change the other belts Bastards... thanx anyway...
Old 01-31-2006, 06:27 PM

thanx, the screaching noise it did it when I turned the car at night and I first turned the car on 2 days later... thats it and I think they didn't change the other belts Bastards... thanx anyway...