Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Seat Belt Jammed And No Speedo/tach

Old 05-24-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

That project I'm saving for this winter or next!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 PM

OK, so I ordered new seat belts from E-Bay, and the headlamp issue was resolved...for a couple days.

I still have not tried replacing the bulbs, and I will be ordering a set in a couple days. All the fuses are good. The passenger lamp is "out". When I say out, I mean not lit light the driver's side. The lamp actually has light coming out, just very dim. Also, the brights are dimly lit when the low beams are on, and when I switch to the brights, only the driver's side lights up.

For a couple days after I fixed the ground everything was working correctly, so I'm not sure what is going on now.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Did you re-check the "fixed" ground? Corrosion can set in pretty quickly and mess things up again. I'm guessing swapping bulbs doesn't fix the dim bulb problem? You might measure the voltage at the bulb socket, and if it's low follow the wire back through all the various connections until you find the right voltage.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 PM

^^^ It was the "fixed" ground. Not tight enough.

SEAT BELTS: Ordered OEM replacements from E-Bay, but still no worky. The instructions do say that the tensioner IS tied into the airbag system, so how do you get around that? For those who have removed the airbags, did your seatbelts still work? Is there a way to complete the airbag cuircuit to fool the system into unlocking the tensioners? It is possible I have bad seatbelts considering they came from E-Bay, but I doubt that is my problem.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

time for a 5 point harness
Old 06-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

^+1 especially considering the pic in your signature! laugh.gif

If the belt was from a wrecked car, it might have the same problem. If not, it might just be tilted wrong and the pendulum is holding the belt b/c it thinks you're upside-down in a ditch or something. If it's not the pendulum, see if you can return to sender for a refund. The airbag system seems like it should only be related in that it tells the belts GO NOW!!!1! they should work mechanically without the electronics. Otherwise, how could you use the seatbelt when the battery is out of the car (taking a wild guess and thinking normally working belts will let you use them with the battery out).

Don't doubt anything is your problem unless it is definitely ruled out. Remember how you just fixed the same thing twice with the ground . . .
Old 06-11-2010, 10:53 PM

Here you there. Gonna use an ohms meter to check that the electronics are good. Maybe check into a junk yard and see if there are any seat belts that aren't jammed when unplugged from the harness, lol. I may just send the ones I got back. Just want to verify that I can find a seatbelt that isn't locked while unplugged. I'd go with one from the dealer, but its $255. EACH.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaam! There's your insurance deductible right there. Only thing I might warn about is to try to use an ohms range which uses a low voltage. You'd hate to send the pretensioner enough voltage to fire, when you were checking it! Are you 1000% sure that, when they are positioned upright as if bolted into a car, the belts won't move? If they shipped to you retracted, it's likely they are just out of position and waiting to be tilted the right way.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Bolted new one to the car, but with it wrapped as far as it is I can only bolt the bottom. It wouldn't have to sit for any length of time in the upright position to unlock, would it? I only waited a few seconds to try, then took it back out since it is all wrapped up and would be a big PITA to leave behind the panel like that.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

It should be swangin an bangin* when you tilt the assembly by hand I think, but I've (fortunately) never had to find out. Is there anything you can hear/feel shifting position inside when you tilt the belt mechanism?

*E.S.G. 1995 . . . seems like a long time ago. . .