Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Safc2 Problems

Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats up everybody,
well 2 days ago i installed my safc2 to my n/a 2001 tib following javageek's diy. now when i try to start my car it seems like the engine is getting waaaay to much fuel when it does actually start it idles eractic and if i press the gas even a little bit it just bogs.

Now i have tried to set it up a bunch of different ways but to no avail. the car wont run. i triple checked all my wiring.
my question is "is there anyway to set it up just for asthetic reasons(looks) without correcting anything untill i get it to a dyno where someone who know what theyare doing can tune it?"

i would appreciate any and all help i can get, thanks
alex
Old 03-04-2008, 10:55 AM

Mine is only installed as a way of measuring throttle, rpm, etc. Mine isnt hooked up to tune its just there as another guage. But i can't remeber what it was that I didnt hook up.

If you hooked yours up completely, and bought it used, it is probably telling your injectors to increase fuel output, because it'll still be at the previous owner's settings. Check your NA points, and if you've got it hooked up only for the looks, make sure these points are all at 0%. Anything dif, and your injectors will be adding fuel.

But yes, u can hook it up for the gauges only, which is what I have on mine, but I can't remeber which wires i didnt connect, or maybe they all are and I jus kept my NA points at zero, I really dont remeber.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:12 PM

is there anyone out there who can tell me how to hook it up just for looks for right now?

do i just not connect the yellow and white safc wires
Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

You have to cut the MAP signal wire and connect the signal half to a certain color wire on the SAFC II harness, and the ECU side of the wire to a different color wire on the SAFC, make sure you got them correctly matched and not mis-matched or backwards.

Also make sure you have a good ground.

It sounds like it is a MAF issue, I think you mis-matched the wires which could result the same way as having your MAF installed backwards (car runs rich as hell and stalls like crazy).

I suppose you could just not hook up the wires at all, but you would have to solder your MAF signal wire back together.

Check the settings in the SAFC and make sure the airflow meter is set to 'hot wire'.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:49 PM

all my wiring was done correctly according to javageeks diy
my car doesnt have a map sensor
ive got a good ground
and all of the settings are right
Old 03-04-2008, 04:11 PM

ok i briefly looked at mine. very few are connected. i didnt look back to java's DIY to see which wires n shiz are and arent, but there r quiet a few of them. its way to cold for me to go out there and look in depth, i noticed u have the luxury of being in higher than freezing temps.

but if it warms up ill go back out there for u and take a peek.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 AM

i sure would appreciate man

bump
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 AM

I got my SAFC II in January, but I still haven't got around to installing it. But it's really, really easy!!! you can't go wrong. I know what went wrong with your installation. It was either the ground that was not properly connected, or it was the white/yellow wire that you didn't connect properly.

- for pin 55 (ground) on the ecu, connect the brown wire CLOSER to the ecu than the black wire. The black wire is supposed to be a bit further than the brown. In other words, the ground (ie. both, the brown and black wires) must be connected on 2 points on the ****SAME**** ecu wire. STOP RIGHT HERE! Do you know what I mean by the SAME wire? I mean, connect both the black and brown to the ecu pin 55 wire, DO NOT connect the brown wire to pin 55 and connect the black wire to some other part of the brown wire (for example, don't connect the black wire to the middle of the brown one). If you don't understand what I mean, let me know!!!!

- make sure that the black wire and brown wire are 1cm apart from each other along the pin 55 ecu wire.

- make sure that you selected "hot-wire" for sensor type

- The yellow and white wires are the air flow signals, so you *DO* have it

- remember that to connect the yellow and white wires, you have to cut the wire at pin 41. Then, connect the ecu side of the wire you have just cut (in pin 41), to the yellow wire, and connect the other end of this pin 41 wire that you have just cut, to the white wire.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one more thing. To connect the safcII for just show, don't connect the yellow and white wire. It's as simple as that. In that case, you will monitor RPM and throttle.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:34 AM

yes i understand what you mean aboput the back and brown wires thats was exactly how i had it set up.
i ended up taking it off the car so i could actually drive to work.but planing on reinstalling and figuring it all out on friday. i Appreciate the help man
Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 PM

no problem.

so if the black and brown wires were connected properly, then:

1. connect all of the wires except for the yellow and white ones.
2. turn the key in the ignition to "on", but don't start/crank the car.
3. follow the instructions for setting up your safc and make sure to reset the previous owners settings. Just go through all of the menus and reset them.
4. turn your car on.
5. if you car idles perfect, you give it gas and it doesn't bog, etc, then proceed to step 6. Otherwise, your problem is with those grounds wires (black and brown).
5a. To check if it's the ground wires, connect your multimeter, set it to dc 12 or dc 20, put the red cable of your multimeter to the 12V line that is connected to your safc (which is connected to the ecu's 12V line), and connect the black cable of your multimeter to both ground connections you made , *one at a time* (ie. first the brown and then the black wires of your safc, which are connected to pin 55 of your ecu). if you did use the right pin (pin 55) of your ecu, then you should read 12V (or thereabouts), on your multimeter. If not, you probably don't have the correct ground pin of the ecu (or you don't have the correct 12V pin of the ecu, which I don't this is your case).
6. So you connected all of the wires but the yellow and white ones. You started your car up and it idled fine. Now go ahead and connect the white and yellow wires as I described above.
7. if you did step (3) above (ie. reset your safc's settings), just go ahead and turn the engine over. If it bogs and/or idles erratically, turn it off. It's either your connections of the white/yellow wire, or your settings of the ecu.
7a. check that you are using pin 55. double and triple check this. Even take a screenshot so you can have someone on here do a sanity check.
7b. check that you connected the yellow and white wires properly
7c. check that you reset all of the values properly

keep us posted. I'm sure you'll get this running properly on Friday. If not, post back.