Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

SAFC II ?

Old 07-14-2004, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something like those or both maybe......haven't been to hp for a while......
Old 07-14-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

1. a. You need the first o2 sensor in perfect working order. This is what determines how much fuel to feed the car during closed loop mode (partial throttle).
b. The second o2 sensor is for emissions only. IT tells the ECU that the cats are working. If its missing, broken, or the cats are not working, then you will get a CEL, but I don't think it will harm performance.

2. The SAFC I & II are the same except for the added knock feature on the II and it's face. There should be only one more wire to install.

3. You should not tune your SAFC without a wideband. All cars are different and will need different settings. I don't want to hear anything else about this! Some need more fuel, some need less, even if they have the same mods.

4. You CAN NOT tune partial throttle. It is called closed loop mode and YOUR COMPUTER WILL FEED THE MOTOR WHATEVER IT WANTS no matter what you plug into the SAFC. Unless you're running different sized injectors, you should leave the low throttle setting alone - 0%.

5. Tuning the high throttle should be done with a wideband only. The computer has a concrete map that it uses above a certain throttle %. This is the only thing you can modify. It starts somewhere above 40% thorttle, not sure exactly. The computer ignores the o2 sensor and reverts to this map, which as everyone knows, is considered rich, but not necessarily true in all cases. Since the ECU ignores the o2 sensor, your settings will go unoticed to it.

6. I've never heard of an increase of over 10hp n/a. So this should be your last mod on an n/a vehicle.

I highly suggest you read all you can about these things before tuning:
open/closed loop
long term / short term fuel trim
partial/wide open throttle
Old 07-14-2004, 11:13 AM

so my car isnt idling, i think it is running rich. you wouldnt think tuning down the fuel on the low setting would help?
Now when you say the first o2 sensor which one would you mean by that.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:15 PM

The one on the manifold. The other is below the firewall.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:24 PM

the one that screw's into the headers?
Old 07-14-2004, 01:32 PM

yup
Old 07-14-2004, 04:44 PM

I never think that it was so complicated to tune up an SAFC.... At the moment it works great.. no problem at all... even at idle...... very quite the engine when its idle....

I just want to have the best tune possible with the SAFC.... But either way, thanks for your advices JonGTR

Its their a way that I can test the Knocking sensor???