Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Running Just Fog Lights

Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I've noticed a few times some cars run just their fog lights. I liked it. However, most of you know the tibs don't do that. I spent probably an hour searching on here, then moved to HMA service. I looked at the wiring diagrams but I can't figure out what exactly you'd have to do to bypass the headlight switch. My idea is to be able to turn on the fogs either when just the parking lamps are on or no lights on at all. I thought about wiring it directly but I don't want to do that. Maybe it's be tried before, I don't know. If it isn't possible then thanks and sorry for posting.
But any insight is welcomed!
Thanks!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Just checked out the wiring diagram. Looks like there should be a purple wire connected to the Front Fog Light Switch. If you disconnect this wire, and then instead run a wire from a good ground to this point instead, you should be able to actuate the fog light relay without turning any other lights on using the same fog light switch.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Yah it been talked about...Ihave the tib service book and I cant really understand but I would also like to know how 2 do this.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

just tap the power into the parking lights if you want it to turn on with them.

Can't remember the wiring off the top of my head, but whatever you run the power to will allow you to run the lights when they're powered.

Run it to the battery and put it on a switch, or run it to the parking lights and it'll come on with them.

Isn't it as simple as that?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

there is a relay in the engine bay you can pull and jump the coils(i believe) together. This is what I did. Used like 16awg wire, so now when I turn on the parking lamps my fog lamps come on. Its late and I don't remember 100% what relay it was. I'll check in the morning if I remember
Old 01-09-2009, 11:57 AM

The parking lights is negative triggered in the tib. The wire that changes to 0V when the headlights are turned on, can be found in the ignition. I can take a pic tonight, if you're interested. The way I would go about doing this is: tap into the fog lights power wire behind the fog light switch, and join it with the parking lights wire I described above, and make sure that the fog lights are grounded (possibly a ground wire at the back of fog lights switch). Whenever you turn on your headlights, your fog lights will come on also. If I didn't want my headlights to come on, I'd just remove the bulb (in case I ever wanted the headlights to operate again, in the future, it's as simple as putting the bulb back in).
Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Or do what cheesebox suggests in this thread...jumping the fog light relay. This will turn on the foglamp with the parking lights and leave them on when you turn on low beams or high beams....basically always on as long as your tail lights are on and off when they are off.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...mp;hl=taillight
Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM

Is my post invisible?

With the method I posted, you can operate it with the switch, when you want it on. It's not controlled by anything else, you have control over when they're on or off. I don't know why you would do it any other way, I mean wouldn't you want to ability to turn them off...without having to stop and check in the engine bay?

Considering the fog lights don't project onto the road much, I wouldn't want to remove the bulbs in the headlights because you'll probably need them if you're on a highway without street lights.

Do it right the first time. Replace the purple wire with a ground, and you aren't messing with anything else, all you're doing is bypassing the headlight switch to actuate the fog light relay. Everything is simple and straightforward for anyone who drives the car. You don't have to open the hood and flick a switch or put in a some bulbs in the dark. No jumping relay pins, which is a half assed method of doing it. If you run the fog lamps off the parking lights you're probably adding about 8x the load onto the parking light wiring, and you'll hopefully blow the fuse, otherwise you'll risk a fire.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm gonna try it frozen. I looked at the wiring diagram as well and it definttely looks like the best route to go. Gonna send it over to my electrical friend to get a final go ahead. Will do up a DIY if successful. I guess you are invisible man, LOL!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 PM

I was a bit frustrated. haha.gif

It should work, I have a pretty good electronics background.

It just seems pointless to do a mod that leaves dummy switches in your cabin. I mean, would you put a dummy switch in your house? "Hey, what does this switch do?" "Oh, nothing, it's just there for looks"...?

I can see doing the quick methods to try it out and see how much light they produce on their own, but if you're going to keep it this way, do it properly.