Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

rough idle/ electrical prob

Old 01-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 98 hyundai tiburon
Default rough idle/ electrical prob

my car has a rough idle could it be because i need to put in my o2 sensor? also i just changed my alternator 2 months ago cuz my system blew it(running two amps) so i put in a capacitor and yestrday driving to wrk my car lights dimmed i thought it was the alternator but i ended up changing the battery and it was back to normal so i turned my radio on and my lights went dim again what could it be??
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It could be time to go to the nearest major chain auto parts store and have them test your charging system, free. Trust what their machine says about your battery and alternator.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 PM

well i had the alternator tested and the battery is new so what could it be??
Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

my car has a rough idle

i just changed my alternator 2 months ago cuz my system blew it

i put in a capacitor

yestrday my car lights dimmed

i thought it was the alternator but

i ended up changing the battery and it was back to normal so

i turned my radio on and my lights went dim again what could it be??

I re-read and broke down your original post. It looks like you have two questions here:

Why does my car have a rough idle?

Why do my lights dim?

A rough idle can be many things. If the engine speed is low but still within the normal range (700-900RPM) it could be just because you have an inline four cylinder engine without balance shafts. It could be worn-out engine mounts. It could be bad spark plugs and/or wires. It could be low blinker fluid. Four cylinders run rough at low speed. How rough is the idle, and at what engine speed?

Car lights dim because of a heavy load on the electrical system. When does it happen? If it only, always happens under specific conditions, that is easiest to figure out. If it happens when you turn on your audio, something may be broken with the sound equipment, or the wiring may be hinky. Under what specific conditions do the lights go dim?

Have you had this car long enough to know that these behaviors are not 'normal?'
Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 PM

the idle rpm range is normal but all you listed are in good wrking condition, ive had it for a year now the idle just seems to be a bit rough like when the electric fans kick in like it'll drop like 200rpms like its gona shut off but then go back to normal

with the system im goin to re-do the wiring to be sure of any bad wires but for now ima just keep it off