Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Rough Idle/car Stalls Or Almost Does

Old 06-27-2009, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have new plugs, wires, coil pack and my car still idled very rough and will stall. This happens only intermitently though. I took it

into the shop and they put in a new tps and fuel pressure regulator and i got no more than five minutes from the shop and

stopped at Autozone. I then started the car up after leaving autozone and it idled rough and then stalled. I called the shop and

will go back monday. Any thoughts of what else it may be? I might also have an exhaust leak in the flex pipe, but i doubt that

would have anything to do with it. There is no CEL that has ever been on, but I will hook my code reader up to see if there is a

pending code stored in there I guess. I am baffled since it is hard to diagnose when this only happnes every few days and then

the car runs good and idles decent for a few days. Suggestiosn please, thx..

could it be o2 sensors or a cracked manifold and would problems with them throw a cel?
Old 06-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

could be almost anything. I'm wanting to hear what your shop says. Even if they don't have a warranty, 5 minutes is pushing the limits of "you need a beating or a lawsuit" depending on what's wrong now.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

im actually having the same problem with my silver tib, and would like to get it fixed before i sell it, so if you find anything out it would be much appreciated
Old 06-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

I had those exact same symptoms prior to my car not starting at all.

CKP was dirty, pull it out and clean off the sensor and everything was well

Never threw a CEL either

Easy enough to check
Old 06-27-2009, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Could be lots of things. They may have replaced the TPS, or they may have TOLD YOU they replaced the TPS and not done so. The TPS wiring harness connector goes bad sometimes too so it could be that.

Test your TPS and connector. Turn the car on, go under the hood and try to wiggle the TPS, the harness connector, and try pushing on the side of the TPS.

Go from one part to another and check em. CKP could well be it too,
Old 06-27-2009, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

clean ur idle control valve w/ brake cleaner
Old 06-28-2009, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

^^^IAC will not give him the problems he is having. I just went through that. When a AIC goes out it makes your car act like a epileptic ALL the time, just not some of the time.

if you want to get a new IAC though beware, them damn things are expensive new, like 240 bux is what i paid so maybe find a used one first to see if that changes anything but i doubt it will.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 PM

I took it back to the dealer and they said the maf airflow sensor reading is spuratic, hence it may be getting worn out. They also said the the reading from the iac is-55 degrees due to me having a cold air intake. They recomended me reinstalling the factory airbox and said this should get rid of the rough idle. This makes sense to me does it to you? I will reinstall the factory airbox and drop in a k and n airfilter and im sure the car will run better than it did with the aem intake>??? whats your take??
Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Must be all of the abrasive air going past the sensor.

LOL

No, don't go back to that POS intake, keep your AEM and swap your MAF with a new/junkyard one.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

that shop is dumb as shit...