Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Rolling Idle

Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly, it's been a loooong time since I posted here. Unfortunately college has been keeping me more than busy (plus two jobs, a g/f, and college ice hockey). So naturally there just isn't much time to worry about the car right now. And for that I apologize.

Anyway, to my problem:

For a while now I have been having a rolling idle problem. When I took my car out of gear while moving, my rpms would roll and jump anywhere from 1500-2500. Once the car came to a stop the idle would usually stop rolling, but the idle would still be very high (around 1500). More recently the car still has the same problem while moving but when I come to a stop the idle settles to 1500 about half the time while the other half of the time the idle will continue to roll around 1800-2000 (at a quick pace with around 1/2 a second of time elapsing between the highs and lows of the idle roll). I'm not really sure what the cause may be. Oh an I forgot to mention that the car runs fine while in gear.

As some of you may know I am boosted. I tried to fix this problem numerous times by re-tuning, but to no avail. No matter what numbers I input to the smt6, my rolling issue still remains (unless of course I pull so much fuel out that the car struggles to maintain enough fuel to idle at all). I also have a small problem with my ecu. I broke one of the clips that holds it into place, so part of the ecu was never making connection which caused my car to not start. I took care of that problem with zip ties. It may still be a problem of loose wiring, but I really doubt it. And I don't believe that tuning is my problem, but I suppose there is a small chance that it is.

Anyway, if there are any ideas please fire away. I am really getting annoyed with this problem and I am absolutely certain that I will not pass inspection with this problem still occurring.

Thanks guys

Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 PM

Are you still running stock sensors? I'll bet your tps has crapped out. You may not even see any difference if you have a live datastream. I checked mine when I suspected it and it was ok. After much deliberation, I replaced it on a hunch, and bingo.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:17 AM

^^^ I have two extras sitting around at home, haha. I've tried them all to no avail. Im seafoaming my engine tomorrow morning and I'm going to do a VERY thorough chech for vacuum leaks. Im also going to clean the idle air control valve.

Edit:

Today I seafoamed my engine, checked for vacuum leaks, and I replaced my old IAC with a different one that I had laying around. Still no success. One thing I did notice is that when I unplug the connecter going to the IAC, the car idles very well. Does this mean both of my IACs are bad?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ya, I had one like that also where I would unplug it and it worked fine. I cleaned the hell out of it and ended up selling it so Im not sure how long it worked for.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:50 AM

^^^When you cleaned it, did it solve the problem? and also, was it safe to drive with out it plugged in?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:54 AM

Yes but not completely and im not sure how long. And ya I drove it for a while unplugged
Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 AM

^^^ Thanks for the info ericy!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:14 PM

No problem. Good to see ya back and with the car still. Get her up and running right! fing02.gif
Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 AM

Mine did this due to an intake manifold gasket leak above the #3 cylinder. Symptoms were nearly identical. Just fixed it.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 AM

^^^ Thanks. I will definitely check that out after I manage to figure out why the car wont start. haha