Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Reviving My Tib

Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, iv thought long and hard about this and am going to dive into modifying my tib...i know i'm excited about it too. However, before i get into cosmetics and all that i figure that since i bought a 2nd hand tib that i don't really know how the car was treated before me, but i do know that the cheap ass poked a hole in the exhaust pipe so that he wouldn't have to by a can to get the sound and that has been fixed. Right after i got the car it went in for a like 75,000 mile tune up for like a grand so i'm EXPECTING it to run well. i know the timing belt replacement was the major factor in shooting the price up so high. ANYWAY i was wondering what things would be the best to replace, meaning what parts break/wear/kill drivers/ or generally total the car after about 80,000 miles. I recently bought new Eibach springs and dampers (shocks i guess, i'm a noobie if you didn't notice) so i figure i have suspension in check at least for a good amount of time. But what should my next focus be? is there a part under the hood that usually goes bad?

oh and btw i also have new headers and exhaust.

i'm just worried ill buy a kit and get the car painted, my custom box in etc. (my fantasy tib) and then i'm driving the car and i end up in an accident from a broken part that i could have easily replaced and avoided the how problem.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:09 PM

I know you replaced your timming belt, but did you replace the drive belts? As far as mods, try to get an AEM intake if you havn't done so already.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm sure the tuneup took care of the belts, oil, filters, etc. so the best thing to do is run a leakdown test on the car and see what the numbers are... check Webtech for tolerances (hmaservice.com).

If the numbers are off, then you have an internal problem and may need some work done. If they are healthy, you have a healthy engine.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:20 PM

well i actually tried buying a generic ebay brand and there was a hole in the pipe that i didnt think connected to anything but i saw the same hole in someone elses CAI so i guess i just dont know what goes in the hole. (no jokes please). so i guess before i get a AIM CAI i was wondering if someone could post or link some pics of what the odd hole is for... thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 05:26 PM

The hole in the CAI is needed for a sensor. You remove the sensor from the air intake box and place in in the hole in the new intake pipe. I would get an AEM CAI before getting an ebay CAI. The AEM is the best offered, unless you're strapped for cash.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

that hole is for your intake air temp sensor.

take the rubber grommet that it used while in your stock airbox out. you then push the grommet into the hole, then the sensor into that grommet.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:06 PM

Tibs are fairly tough cars. Taken care of they can run well beyond 100,000 miles with little problems. They do have a couple of week spots though. The biggest of which is the front wheel bearings. Most of us have gone through one of them at least. Just something to keep in mind.

The other trouble spot comes from not changing the oil as often as you should. The HLAs will get dirty and not pump full of oil and make a lot of clatter in the head.

There are others, but I am not thinking of them. Just take care of the car, she will take care of you.