Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Resonator Removed - Why Bother With Cai?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Devon @ Mar 13 2006, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>One potential minus for CAI tubes. Because they are sitting in the engine compartment they are gradually heated up by the engine as you drive. They then radiate that heat to the (very) nearby air going through them. When you don't use a tube, the air coming through the front grill and then into the filter box is not in close enough proximity to any warm component for long enough to warm up signficantly. It would be interesting to compare the 2 approaches via a temp sensor at the intake manifold.</div>

It's been done. The air isn't inside the piping long enough to be heated by it. The difference in temperature would be so miniscule you'd have to pay a TON for something to read it.

Let's put it this way, if CAI's didn't work, they wouldn't sell.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:02 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ yeah, well, my AEM clone cold air intake tube stays cold when my bay is warm. My Injen was about the same temp as the rest of the engine.

if you're that worried about it, put a heat shield around it and ground it to transfer heat to chassy.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:41 PM

Too bad I didn't see this thread until now.

Anyways, when I was down at AEM and they were creating the intake for our cars *using MY car* smile.gif, they told me not only do they do testing to get airflow from a cold source, but the intakes are cut specific lengths for different cars. This is for air/engine harmonics. If you make a tube a certian length and run air through it, it will create a resonation frequency as it passes through. What they do is they have several different lengths of tubes when they do their Dyno testing and find out which one creates the greatest amount of horsepower for the motor.

When we did the testing, I had the stock airbox (w/resonator), a Random Special (Almost exactly like an Injen) and the AEM intake. They dynoed stock at 119 whp, the Random Special (Ingen) at +7whp over stock and the AEM at +8.9whp over stock. (yes, our cars are rated ~140hp, at the crank, only about 120hp at the wheels.) Dyno was done at 75 degrees at sea level.

Other have had even greater results with an AEM, as Rob from HyundaiPerformance.com did a dyno at +12hp over stock.

Anyways, an AEM intake will get you the Most Bang for the Buck. Its the cheapest, highest horsepower rendering modification you can do to your car for the money. And the AEM sounds pretty deep when WOT (wide open throttle).
Old 04-15-2006, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Easy. Buy the one you WANT, have it shipped to me, and I'll ship it to you.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:53 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Definitely get one of those two, or the AEM itself.

The shipping costs in the continental US are posted on the page, so that's how much it takes to get to redzman. Pay him that much. When he receives it, you simply have him get a quote on how much it is going to be for him to ship to you, and then you pay him that additional amount.

BTW you can trust redz, he won't screw you..well, depends how drunk he gets. I saw pictures of him trying to get down with sponge bob..lmao.gif